Logo

2007 200 e-tec

Best to have a qualified dealer hook it up to computer to read things such as ------Total hrs / hrs at full throttle / fault codes etc etc.---------Money well spent !!

Man from what I rembember this was a remodel of the fire breathing fick-a-lickers which i believe lead to the down-fall (along with other things). Be careful I know a few owners of the later one and they love them. Get you a old bullet-proof 150/200 GT and let it fly!

Myself I like simple stuff like carburetors that require a beer budget.-------I do not need exotic ( nice running ) machines that need a different , champagne budget to keep running.---Just look up the price of computers / fuel pumps / oil pumps / fuel injecters on these new motors.------------Carburetors are simple to clean / repair and are not throw away items.

Yep I agree with Racerone, for weekend warrior stuff keep it simple. Plus if u run into problems on the water with just a simple tool kit u will have a good chance on helping yourself to get back home. You can save some fuel with the new stuff, and I have. But unless you run your boat commerically you may never recover the cost of the investment. Plus there's several other factors.

1) The almost open exaust sound effect: nothing like a 2-stroke to make u think u at the drag-strip. Which allowes piece and quite while runing the the fishing hole (can't here the wife talking to you, or the childerend's scream's there will be time for that when u stop).

2) The smoking out the other boats at the dock: Nothing like tring to leave the dock and someone wants to swap life stories, crank that babie up and I told you something one of y'all gonna leave!

3) more power is easy and cheap: when I was a teenager and we live on the river where they ran lil boat races they would nitro charge the out boards, they mostly ran Johnson/E-rude's from the 70hp's (remember the old stingers!) to the big 235 hps. We would sneak in and hang out at the boats on the trailers getting the finly tuning. and all they did for the nitro was run a 1/4" copper tube the the air box and drill some small holes in front of the carbs. Hit the gas and hold on we be a prop walking!!

A lot of wisdom here. How much descreationay $$ do you have if a system fails.
Last year I got the lust for a new ETEC, 130 V-4, and the dealer made me a heak of deal on the close you year model. So I sold my old faithful 1977, 115. Have to say the new engine is something else, fast, responsive, quite, no smoke and get about twice the gasket mileage.
However, I my old Johnnie: never let me down, no major repairs, always started up and I miss that throaty sound and the smell of 50:1. However, after 35+ years, the compression on getting low and weighed the cost of an overhaul applied to the new.

Yea tboltmike I've been a merc/yamma man for quite some time have had several tiller E/J's all ran just fine. I have my first V-4 a 1987 140 Johnson which I call Mr. Johnson and he does a hell-of-a-job on my boat. Just got the boat last fall the motor was rebuilt by a guy in the New Orleans area but when i got ti home and started realy looknig at it I think a caveman with a club and a rock would have done a better job. Don't get me wrong the motor runs fine and plenty of power for the boat a 17 ft Mckee southporter runs 41 gps speed. But things like no t-stats, no-zincs, broken bolts bad ground. A draging starter (which some one felt the need to beat on it and cracked the magnets). So after a couple of weekends and a little patience all is well. Only two other items to deal with by spring the lower unit is leaking and has a broken skeg (may just replace the unit with a SEI) and the carbs are leaking a little will have to rebuild or replace.

Had a 9.9 on a 12' flat the I use to duck hunt with and no one could beleive I got that lil outboard back in the muck as far as I did. Increased the water intakes, ran the pisser stright through the lower cowling, yes I keep the t-stat. Built a jack/set back plate for it (3x4). with me the boat ran 25-26, with #2 son at 15 years old and 140lbs it would do 28-29 mph and thats GPS we would have time trials after the hunt and unloaded the boat. It would probably break 30 mph if not for the wavey bottom as we used it as a water bull dozer pushing and jumping logs, dirt mounts or anything that wanted to keep us for the duck hole.

Anyhow love the Johnson and this site is great the guys have helped me with everything this I needed.

I work with Etecs on a daily basis and I am sold on them. There is no comparison to the old, oil belching low tech carbed engines. :) Sorry fellas I calls em as I sees them.

They are worlds ahead of the Fichts which were their forerunners. Fuel savings. Simplicity. Durability and they will tell you when they have a problem (for the most part). The injectors do not even compare to the original Ficht injectors. With the XD100 oil, if the installation suites it, they conserve a lot of oil as well.

However, like any purchase of an outboard I recommend too that you have certified dealer appraise it and check to make sure any service bullitens have been addressed for it.

I work with Etecs on a daily basis and I am sold on them. There is no comparison to the old, oil belching low tech carbed engines. :) Sorry fellas I calls em as I sees them.

They are worlds ahead of the Fichts which were their forerunners. Fuel savings. Simplicity. Durability and they will tell you when they have a problem (for the most part). The injectors do not even compare to the original Ficht injectors. With the XD100 oil, if the installation suites it, they conserve a lot of oil as well.

However, like any purchase of an outboard I recommend too that you have certified dealer appraise it and check to make sure any service bullitens have been addressed for it.

That makes me feel better about the reliability. Though I really miss the old Johnnie, I do love the ETEC..its a rocket http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8h2NWvHpCc

Last edited:
thanks to all of you for help with the etec its good to here from someone who works on them i have olny have one 4 stroke it was good but the first fuel injected motor was a opit max and one piston came through the block never had that with old carb 2 strokes . but would like to have the fuel saving of new fuel injected motors

LOW TECH, LOW TECH hell I thought I was on the cutting edge of the industrial revolution! I remember a old Minn Kota I had that the DC motor was mouned on top and was ths size of a 1.5 hp AC motor nowdays, man wish I had that one back! I don't have to pump up my tank to create fuel pressure thats some sort of improvement! Low tech HA! Nowday's if you can't get a app for your smart phone to control it or is that it controls you! y'all think is all washed up! Hell got a new Goat (Dodge truck) the other week and when I got in it the damn phone started having a orgy wanting to talk with the truck. and then the truck started the same wanting to talk to the phone. I was so disguised with all that, I throw the phone in the seat cclosed and locked the door they needed some alone time!!

Hog Net give me a ring we can make that wiring harness work we'll only need 1/2 the wires and I have conncetors and a heat gun!! Talking about ring!@ I rembember making a phone call from pay phone with a dime (the start of paying before you call trend). We can put a big 90* v6 on that new boat then you'll have a motor.

But with all that steam blown off I'm glad the new E-Techs are running good I didn't like what had happened with the flick-a-lickers! hondamecch I bought a yamaha 115 4-stroke in 2000 the service manger told me I was buying a dinosaur befour they even got started! Well that was one of the most dependable things I've ever owned.I read a article by Jim Barron in Trailer boats of his review of the 35hp E-Tech he loved it and I believe the entire line up. As I said I know of several folks that own them and they love them.

I still love my loud, smokie, smelly Mr. Johnson he fits the boat very well. Buy the way I know where y'all can dump all those low tech no longer wanted motors! come south until you just can't go anymore and then give me a call, I'll take them the rest of the way!

HAVE A GREAT DAY FROM THE OLD SLOW SMOKIE GUY!

OH yea one more thing I did put a new age Minn Kota Riptide ST which has that I-pilot thing on the old girl. But still having trouble in operating it, it's hard to get it to quit making circles!

Ok how that's it

The first thing I would ask myself,
1) Have the motor checked over by a cert BRP dealer, look for odvious issues and fault failure history.
2) The dealer can enter the engine serial number into the BRP system and look at any warranty history and previous owners info.
3) contact previous owner and find out why he got rid of it. (he may tell you the truth)
Then you can make a decision.

Back