Logo

get a new prop what size? Are aftermarket any good?

matan

I am hoping for some advise. I have just destroyed my prop. I am lucky that that was the worst damage. how's this. My son and I went fishing off the Sw corner of australia. coming back to the boat ramp i thought as there was some chop on the ramp I would drive on to the trailer and get settled before the next swell. I had a couple attempts at lining up the boat and trailer but there was a LOT of sideways movement. I thought I was ok and gave some throttle. as I hit the trailer the wave sucked back so I hit a dry trailer. the sudden stop threw me forward with my hand on the control. That floored the boat which took off under me and I fell back. The boat was at an angle to the trailer so it missed the winch pole stop and drove a few feet on to the tray bed of the truck. I got to the throttle and killed it and the boat slid sideways off the trailer, almost overturning with me in it. instead it landed sideways and then on to its own bottom. I backed it away from the rocks that form the boat ramp and tied to the jetty. we then retreived it in the conventional manner.
Not much damage. a bit of skin off me, the hull has very very little scratching, but the prop hit the trailer and I need a new prop.
This is my question what prop for a mercury 4st 60 hp big foot that pushes a heavy plate aluminium 17 ft centre console.

the old prop had these numbers remaining. I was reasonable pleased with the prop, but never took it to max revs. I chickened out at about 4600 when the boat , a cathedral hull (built as a jet boat) threatened TO BECOME AIRBORNE.
the numbers as I can read them 4877342 A 401 15 F or perhaps 15P
What prop do I need. I would like to know what diameter and what pitch so i can buy one off the internet. I amtoo far from the nearest shop.
Jim

Back