Logo

fuel leaking 85 Johnson 120 HP V4

dave92126

I purchased my first boat, *a 85 bayliner center console with a 85 Johnson 120 hp v4 outboard.* Something just for the bay or just outside Kelp Bed areas.* So far seems like the engine is having a few different issues such as stalling at low idle and difficulty reaching speed when I push the throttle forward. it takes the boat a long time for it to catch up with the throttle if at all.* I started with new spark plugs and fuel filter.* Now looking at the manifold I see fuel leaking from the lower carb, out of what looks like a gold needle valve.* its leaking a significant amount whenever I prime the bulb it flows right out of the valve and leaks through the case which eventually shows up in the water.* Im not taking it out again till I solve the problem, *I dont want to add to the bay's pollution problem anymore than I already have.

So my question is how do I stop the fuel from leaking out of that lower carb or what might be causing it to do so? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I am adding a photo to show the area I am talking about.* I have a feeling if I solve this problem it may help with the other issues such as the hesitating to accelerate.

IMG_1041.JPGIMG_1040.jpg

Looks like the float valve is stuck.----------That carburetor needs to be inspected / cleaned.---------Stop running the motor !------Inspect / repair all 4 perhaps, as no fuel going into one cylinder also may mean a lack of oil too.

Thanks racerone, I will start there and let you know how it goes. Would there be a lack of oil if I am using a 50:1 oil gas mixture. The VRO system has been bypassed so I have been mixing the oil and gas myself using a 5 gallon gas can, then adding fuel 5 gallons at a time.

If one carburetor is plugged then no fuel / oil is going into the cylinder fed by that carburetor !!----If you run for too long hoping that the problems will go away it could be expensive.

I would say that too much oil and fuel is going into the cylinder. If one carb is overflowing there is a reason. All carbs should be pulled and serviced.

So just an update,

I rebuilt all 4 carbs with the rebuild kits, Float, pin, screws washers and gaskets, The motor is now running better than before but after about a minute or two the same bottom right carb started spitting fuel again from the valve and from the hole on top next to the bolt. Any other ideas, maybe one of the other fuel lines is clogged or pinched?? Maybe I should just replace that one carb thats leaking? That bottom right one is the only one leaking.

Did my carbs couple weeks ago, I found that the needles were not adjusted perfect from the factory on the carb kits. Had some of the same problems you are having. The first thing to check when working on carbs is to open the gold drain screws on the front bottom of the carb. If a good amount of gas comes out of each carb you are getting gas in the carbs. Then at that point you should be safe to run it so long as you look in each carb and visually see gas spraying up when you gas on it. If you have gas coming out of a carb contiuously weather running or not then the float is allowing the needle to be open. Could be trash or the float pedal needs a little bend [adj]were the needle hangs to push it closed quicker when the float rises.
Another thing you may check before you take it all apart is if you have the newer style of choke were it flows gas straight into the cylinders, there is a little red handle that sits on the back side if the carb bank. That handle needs to be down at 6:00 for normal operation. If it gets turned up to 3:00 it will manually keep choking the motor. When you pump the ball it will not get and stay*hard, this will also happen if you have a needle stuck open. Hope this helps you!!!
Steve

Tanman,
Thanks I will check the floats and make the adjustment. Found a similar thread where they also had the same problem. I do have that red handle and it is in the 6 oclock position. All carbs are getting good gas and motor is running stronger after the carb rebuilds, guess I just have to adjust that one float more. Gotta get this dialed in perfect before the spring time yellowtail arrive.

Back