Logo

1972 johnson 100hp problem

I just replaced my power pack and the boat starts and idles fine. But as soon as I try to give it some throttle it starts like vibrating real bad and wont speed up . But if I barley push the throttle up it will cruise like 5 miles an hour just fine. Any body got any ideas

I'm not an expert on these ignitions by any means, but it sounds like the plugs aren't firing in the proper sequence.

Checked oil in the lower unit ?------Is this motor a " new to you , recent purchase " by any chance.-----Checked for a bent propshaft / bad propeller ?

Checked oil in the lower unit ?------Is this motor a " new to you , recent purchase " by any chance.-----Checked for a bent propshaft / bad propeller ?
The oil was change recentley according to the previous owner. I might need to check that and the propeller looks pretty beat up but I didnt think that would have been a problem.

So what else has been done and checked on this motor ?----------Post as much information as you can !!----Posting of pictures also helps in diagnosing YOUR motor problems from 1000 miles away.

The only other things I have done is changed the starter solenoid and power pack.I was thinking the carbs have never been cleaned would that cause it?

The thing should be in forward gear when the motor is NOT running.
so when i turn it with my hand is it supposed to click or not? im not sure what you mean it should be in forward gear. im just wondering if i need to fix my lower unit or if its a carb problem. cause the boat idles fine and when i barley push the throttle it will cruise like 5mph just fine but if i try to go faster it starts like shaking like maybe its not getting enough gas

On some motors it will click when you turn the prop clockwise and you should not be able to turn it counterclockwise.When the wotor is not running it should be in forward gear.--------If the motor is running and in forward gear you should not hear the clicking.

Question 1) why did you change out powerpack? 2) I am doing this from memory and I am an old man, do the plug wires come out from under the flywheel, if they do you could have points under dist, cap and an anti reversing spring, remove flywheel remove fastners thet secure stator and dist cap, slide up rotor and do not loose wave tension washer on rotor, clean breaker plate, set points to .010 (if you find a sensor set the air gap at .028) lub anti reverse spring, clean cap and rotor, reinstall and test run.

Good luck

Question 1) why did you change out powerpack? 2) I am doing this from memory and I am an old man, do the plug wires come out from under the flywheel, if they do you could have points under dist, cap and an anti reversing spring, remove flywheel remove fastners thet secure stator and dist cap, slide up rotor and do not loose wave tension washer on rotor, clean breaker plate, set points to .010 (if you find a sensor set the air gap at .028) lub anti reverse spring, clean cap and rotor, reinstall and test run.Good luck
i changed the power pack cause some wires were corroded out and i could not start the motor.

Back