Logo

Cold motor Half power at first then runs fine.

Johnson 6 97

I have a 6hp Johnson 1997 manual pull starts fine. It actslike long to warm up if that has anything to do with it. But I only get halfpower for a mile. Does the colder weather do that? I don’t remember this issuein the past I go about a mile and don’t wish to go any more with the boat motorrunning that way so i take it out of gear and run it harder until it seems likea skip then it runs fine after that all day long. I’m concerned. Of running themotor that hard out of gear. and if i turn it off kinda seem a little harder torestart or maybe me just being over concerned

Thank you for looking

Hi, i had a similar problem with my outboard mine would do that and you hear the engine trying to push for more power like something is trying to spark but failed, i found that when i changed my ignition coils it helped alot but not 100% i gapped my spark plugs correctly helped alot but not quite thier, untill the powerpack changed and everything was completly different, if you didnt have similar side affects it just might be dirty carbies

Do an ignition " performance check "-------------Use an adjustable gap spark checker and see if the spark will jump a gap of 7/16" on both.-------Check wiring connections on the ignition system too.---------------Do NOT wind the motor up in nuetral.

I feel like the gas to spark seems proper I was thinkingabout changing the power pack but the cost. I put new plugs and fresh gas with additivefor water in gas. To be on the safe side. drained carb and pump add carb cleaner no differnts

Somewhere during the first half mile when it is running poorly, shut it down, remove the cover and use your hand to check for any temperature difference between the top and bottom cylinder heads.

tryed to take it out to day but the wind was 17 to 20 i had put the other plugs back until this issue is fix and checked the wires when i was running it on sunday i might be hopeful but it seemed to be better when i was at the ramp a man was there that i see befor and i told him how i put carb cleaner into the gas that reallt cleans vavles he had carb cleaner spay i cleaned the intake but befor i did that the motor seemed to be better wind was stroung I didnt5 take it off the trailer. is 7/16 the same as 30,000 this all started when it got cold I just gotten this motor in dec 3 it was still warm and i changed the gear box oil and pulgs that when this all started so i'm trying go back. will see on mon Im going to take it again.

Maybe you are not understanding the 7/16" spark gap comment. In order to have good spark it needs to be able to jump across a gap of 11 mm = 7/16" using a gap tester. If the spark is bright blue and can jump this gap then it is good. The gap set for the spark plug is 0.030" = 30,000ths of an inch = 0.76200mm.

My bad just checked the book I have the operation & Maintenance manual i spoke out with out knowing what i was tas talking about the gap is 0.030

In order to pinpoint where the problem may be on your engine there is a need to " test " things.-------So once again , will the ignition system jump a gap of 7/16" on both ignition wires ?

OK I wish to say I'm disable and have a brain disorder issuesthanks for your help and making me think. So here we go.

1. I took the boat this mourning and started fine.
2. Drove a half mile the motor still half power.
3. Took cover off and felt motor heat it seemed balanced but mydisorder.
4. On the way home I bought a tub. And filled it up andstarted fine.
5. Figured that bottom cylinder wasn’t firing.
6. Checked piston. It’s moving.
7. At start of work. wires coming from power pack orangeand blue on top of coil to top cylinder and orange on bottom from power pack tobottom coil to bottom cylinder
8. Then on the coil I swopped the coil wire only. No change
9. Reset everything.
10. Then I thoughtI would check the bottom coil so I swopped orange /blue to bottom of coil andcoil wire to top cylinder and motor runs.
11. Howdo I check power pack? Or is it the issue?

I can’t tell you how much it means to me. For you help..

Back