Logo

DIY Jackplate for a 6hp Johnson on 14' Starcraft aluminum? Advice?

redfishsc

Contributing Member
I have a 14' Starcraft (a 1974 model) with a 1986 Johnson 6hp tiller.

Unfortunately it's a long shaft. The anti-cavitation plate sits a good bit lower than the floor of the boat.

I'm thinking I need to put a jack plate on it to help this boat have every fighting chance of getting on plane (even though I know it probably won't, much). Mainly though, I'm interested in keeping from damaging the prop because I like to fish shallow and around lots of oyster beds.

Any advice on this, as far as the most affordable but sturdy way to do this? I'm thinking find some marine grade 3/4" plywood and put a layer of aluminum on one, or both, sides (or some wide L-bracket) where the clamps secure.

Thanks!
Matt

Have you looked into returning your motor to a short shaft ?-----Have you called any local shops , as they may be interested in the 5" spacer / long driveshaft / long shift shaft.-----With the right pieces it would take no more than 1/2 hr to change it

Have you looked into returning your motor to a short shaft ?-----Have you called any local shops , as they may be interested in the 5" spacer / long driveshaft / long shift shaft.-----With the right pieces it would take no more than 1/2 hr to change it

I had not thought of that. I'm not much of an outboard mechanic at this point, this is the first outboard I've had. This isn't a very common motor in this area, Yammys are the most common you see. But I'll call around and ask.

It will not matter the 6hp is a good trolling motor you will never see a plane unless it is empty and you sitting about midship. A 15hp short shaft will hit a nice plane with a load. A 6hp might be enough to keep it off the rocks on a windy day. You can try jacking it up but your probably over propped with that boat try a prop with less pitch to bring the WOT rpm up to spec 4900rpm for your engine. The depth of the prop will not matter for speed as much as engine rpms.

I'm aware that a 15hp will plane it out fine but that's not an option at this point. This boat and motor have been together for 15 years, and it moves it along at around 10mph in good conditions, which is fully acceptable in my situation.

Back