Logo

Carb rebuild question, 1988 Johnson 70 HP 3 cyl.

Oahetrader

I have a coupled of questions before I start to rebuild carburetors. My service manual says do not soak carburetor body in carburetor cleaner, what say you? I have already bought a can of carb soak cleaner.
Second question is should I remove pocket core plugs and lead shots and if so what should I use to reseal shots and plugs after they are replaced.

Carburetors suffer ( gum up ) when fuel is left sitting in them for prolonged time periods.---------------If you take the caburetor bowl off and find that things are " clean " so to speak than you really do not need to do much. Just re-assemble with new gaskets if you wish to do so.----I see a lot of folks installing new carburetor parts when there was nothing wrong with the old parts.-----Different story for a shop that must guarantee their work.--------I also see a lot of folks picking the carburetors as the reason for running problems when not much can go wrong with them.------------Do you have a " running issue " with the motor ? What leads you to believe that the carburetors need to be rebuilt ?

Motor runs good at speed, but idles rough, also I have a gas leak at middle carburetor (not fuel Line). So I thought it best to pull carburetors, and rebuild them.

Back