Logo

Johnson 30 not running full throttle

Scoot013

I have a 1987 Johnson 30, it sat up for a few years in the garage in which this year I began to use it again. Well after cleaning the carb. it would idle fine, and in gear it ran fine up until half throttle in which it begins to bog back and will cut off if I do not let out the gas. I finally decided to rebuild the carb and replace the fuel line. After that the problem still occurred, the only way it seems to run full throttle if I choke the air by removing the hood and placing two fingers over the carb. Ive also made sure the jets were clean, the compression seems to be fine, and the fuel pump seems to be working correctly. Any ideas?

Did you actually remove and clean the high speed jet that's located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.... that is clean it with a piece of single strand steel wire? Solvent really doesn't do a proper job of cleaning that jet if it's fouled.... and compressed air will flow freely thru a fouled jet.

You can clean it in place if you don't have the proper squared off tip screwdriver tool to remove it.

Usual reasons for a engine to die out when throttle is applied..... Fouled carb, Throttle opening too soon in relation to timing, Stuck timer base (retarded timing).

Back