Logo

Outboard will not spark sometimes

boui

Hi,

I have posted here before and the problem was fixed & now ive got another problem, my outboard will not spark and it will not crank i get no response nothing, but then all of a sudden it runs normal and runs fine.

The following are new:

Spark plugs gapped to .032 or .030 i cant remember (its to the spec's)
Ignition coils ( the whole kit)
PowerPack

i have a johnson 1980 engine its old but it does the job.

Also when i poped open the case i heard lil clicking sparks when i turn the key not very strong & also i heard a pop coming from the earth thats on the crankcase ( i think)

Thank you

I believe you have a problem with a dead battery or the battery cables are all corroded internally and need to be replaced.-------If you use a known good battery and booster cables directly to the starter does it crank over each time ?

Thank you for your replies, racerone i have no idea how to put the booster straight to the starter i have no electrical experiance but how ever i did try and booster to the battery and my booster did not make a noise or anything its like nothing took the charge because usally it would make a noise, so i could not see why it would be a dead battery but i could understand if the cables had verdigris on them after ageing.

Next time im working on the boat i will cheak for soft spots but im 100% sure that their is verdigris, im just worried that if the solinoid is going bad or the recifier has been fried and not converting the power from AC to DC and caused the pop and causing the electrical to shut off or something. also what is the best way of cleaning then without removing anything and how can i test my cables to see if it is the problem?

Thank you

Booster to the starter?.... I have no idea what that means.
Your engine is a 1980 what?
By "not cranking", I assume you mean that the electric starter is not turning the engine over.

With a good known fully charged battery, run good known jumper cables directly to the electric starter. Black ground cable to a good ground somewhere on the powerhead.... Red positive cable directly to the electric starter cable stud. If this results in having the engine crank over, then obviously the electric starter is okay.

Remove and clean all cables/wires associated with the electric starter circuit. This includes the actual battery terminals and also the ground cable attached to the powerhead, starter solenoid cables/wires, etc. Clean the cable/wire end terminals thoroughly as well as the components they attach to.... then, when reinstalling the cables/wires, tighten them securely with a wrench or pliers... not your fingers if wing nuts are encountered.

Let us know what you find.

Ok thank you now i understand how to test it but with the grounding can i clip the negative to the engine were the cover sits its metal so yeah, today i went to start the engine and it was fine i guess its random at times but say if it happens again and im on the water can i use my jumpstarter pack to get it going if the starter isnt the problem because im sure that if it was the starter the battery would have died and also once they fail they fail.

sounds like you've acquired some cracked wiring, the best way to check for any damaged wiring is to try running the engine in complete darkness and look for jumping arcs of electricity, you can see this with the ***** eye, and make sure u have a partner to help in case there's trouble

Back