Logo

two line tank mile master rusty tank, now what?

dkonrai

Regular Contributor
have a two line mile master tank. want to line the inside of the tank, then a rebuild. i am in process of the nuts and screws in the tank with some paint thinner.
i dont think i can get all the rust out, so what is the product that you have used? and the results? seems the por15 isnt a godd choice.
caswell? seems like a good product, but pricey
kbs coating 5200?
red-kote? pretty cheap.
thank you for your opinions.
dino

I cleaned a very rusty motorcycle tank last month. I first cleaned the tank with dish washing detergent several times to get out any old fuel residues, rinsed with water, then I used muriatic acid , diluted 50-50 with water.(always add the acid to water) 10 minutes the rust was gone, leaving a sandblasted looking finish. I then used a water and baking soda solution to nutralize and washed the tank several times with water. I was pleased with the result. I did not use a liner as the tank seems to be sound. Use caution with acid, eye protection, have a baking soda solution handy to flush any accidental contact, etc.

sorry about that.

johnson 1954, qd15, 10hp. pretty clean :) just needs a tune up, coils, points, cond, carb clean, impeller and probably a reseal. thats all ...its on a earlier post. i was bummed that the tank was shot and i couldnt see if my newly acquired qd-15 ran or not.

also picked up a evinrude 1954, 7.5 (it runs, but needs the same as the 10). and a johnson 1956 5.5. (this has new impeller, points, cond, carb cleaned)

i have three tanks. one is rusted to heck that came with the johnny 10 hp.

the other two are fugly outside but really nice inside :) boat mechanic owned the two other tanks and left some 2 stroke oil in the empty tank and some primo pre ethonal fuel in the other tank. the old fuel is gin clear (well with a little blue ting for the oil).

dino

Back