Logo

HELP 1974 (50th year anniversary ) 9.5 Evinrude Johnson out board

phoen1x

How in the flaming Jesus do you raise the blessed thing! I can't figure i out, and as you know you can't launch without raising the motor!

I am also conducting a forum search as well.

Its a manual lift motor.

Last edited:
thx guys. The gentleman who rebuilt this motor ( his retirement business/hobby) told me that Johnson /evinrude spilt this year one half 9.5 (mine) and then 9.9 functionally I've no idea if there is a difference horse power wise (or marketing)

Anyway the 9.5 parts match mine exactly.

out of the two #60 parts one broke in half so I'll have to replace it. and #16 does not move much . Apparently the gentleman just works on the motor. I've not had it on the water yet but it starts and runs well in a tank (all gears) famous last word I am sure.

Right now if I want to raise the motor I have to move #30 down so I can move the motor up. I am sure I can't do it on the water so I've got to fix it. and I've no idea what 29 does. Oh and some gasket looking material came of of 11 (swivel plate) th motor moves side to side much easier now I no idea if there is such a thing as too easy though.

Anyway I am a complete newbie. Now I think I know why people buy brand new engines!

Oh and I could not find a model number.

Thanks for all your help.

well it appears that #16 works as intended, but I can't see how on earth I can raise the motor with out pulling #30. I suppose I'll have to rig a rope or something So I can reach it. I tired while sitting in the boat and was unable to reach that part and pull the engine up enough to relieve the weight so I could release it.

So let me see If I get this right. The reverse lock is supposed to disengage when I put the motor into gear? and the part that does this part looks like a bicycle spoke? So the reverse lock is supposed to be disengaged at all times while motoring? The #16 "selector tilt lock appears to working normally." I was messing it today. Perhaps it will work better when I have One of those "sprocket-like" wheels (#60 it broke) replaced.

However I see no way to disengage #30 unless I do it myself by hand. I toyed with the gear shifter (neutral, forward) and tried to lift the motor but the reverse lock was holding fast. So if it hooked up and I am in the water I going to have a problem. Unless I've missed something. Is what I am saying sound right? I don't think I'll be able to raise before I try to trailer the boat out at the ramp.

You guys have been fantastic with the information right on the money thus far. Thanks.

So is this a repair you take on as newbie or should I tuck tail and take to a shop?

From that site.

The spring loaded locking lever is connected to a wire (reverse lock wire) like part that looks like a bicycle spoke. It is supposed to release automatically when the motor is in neutral or forward gear and only lock in reverse. The adjustment is made to a small barrel-shaped connector on the lower end of the wire. The locking lever prevents the motor from swinging up and causing damage when running in reverse.

I checked and all the parts seem to be there. which I am thrilled about. So how to get it to work?

Last edited:
ok guys The motor is running and the tilt lock appears to work correctly. (Hooray!)

However When I first got the motor and was looking at it one of the two #60 parts — 310064 — PINION, TILT ADJUSTMENT broke. I purchased a new part I've looked at the area but don't know how to proceed taking it apart. It looks simple but well you know simple is not always simple.

any idea as to how to comes apart?

Well in case anyone was curious. A 3/32 punch will move it, but I strongly suggest buying one that is forged and tempered, in other word buy quality, and make sure its a ROLL PIN PUNCH not just a punch. Don't ask me how I know this or I'll cry.

Buy QUALITY and only cry once. BTW Sears is NOT QUALITY and they don't actually have a roll pin punch it just a punch.

Anyway hopefully when the real tool arrive I can fix this thing and them onto the co pilot washers

Punches came in and boom pins came out like butter! Amazing what the correct tool will do. Now I have to get it back together. It may be nice to go out this weekend is it possible to operate this motor without the tilt pinion assembly? I may not be able to get in in before the weekend.

well.....Maybe for you! Dealing with that gear thing and the pins are stupidly tight, they are bending etc...Any tips to make it easier? I am awaiting parts but I have some 3/32" pins I am using and its not easy. I am sure the "handle: with the spring may be a bit easier, because it doe not spin, once it is aligned it should be good to go (famous last words) but this gear is hard to hold in place and you have to assemble the part on the motor you can't fix it on a bench and install it.

Ug! No wonder I pay people for this aggravation!

Gents,

After some work I managed to butcher my way through the job. The pins are in as good as I can do. On the handle I ended using two pins one from each side I could just not get one single pin to go through the whole way. So I got two pins partially the way thorough. knob is tight.

Back