Logo

Johnson 200 Ocean Pro oil in exhaust

Kenneth Nall

Have a friend who has a 200 Ocean Pro that seems to have an excessive amount of oil coming out of the thru prop exhaust. The engine is tough to crank after it sits a while, and then seems like it dumps a lot of oil. Any ideas on the cause, or is this normal?

Some people will say that it is just unburned TCW-3 oil, and that it is OK.
I disagree. The more I see of this problem, the more I consider it a symptom of something wrong engine-wise.
Most often I see it as a result of one or more cylinders misfiring. It is also often accompanied with a loss of power.

Put in new plugs, run it, read the plugs and see if you can determine if one cyl is acting up.

I do think, though, that it is a symptom of troubles up top.

EDIT:

Sorry, forgot to say, also look into the possibility of mis-adjusted idle screws if your motor has them. (1996 up)
Or possibly clogged idle air bleed orifices on the face of each carb.
Anything that will richen up the mixture.

If the VRO is still there, then it may be over-oiling. Measure the actual oil consumption rate.
Run exactly 25 gals of gas thru, and measure exactly how much oil was used. Should be 1/2 gallon of oil. Calculate your actual mix rate from that.
Lots of things to consider.

Last edited:
What does the term " tough to crank " mean here ?----Most folks might not know just what that means.----------If it is hard to start than what is the word for word starting procedure that is being used.----One of these motors in good condition will start instantly if the right procedure is used.-----Perhaps there is something wrong and a compression test is the first step to take.

Sounds like a lot of unburned oil dripping out of the exhaust. It turns into a black goo when it picks up all of the stuff on the sides of the exhaust manifold.

Do a compression and spark check. Ensure that all cylinders hit on idle.

You probalbly won't have it, but do a pressure check on the gearcase and have a look at the oil from the gearcase.

The two avenues of oil coming out of the prop hub are the gearcase, and leakage from the exhaust.

From the sounds of it, it requires a carb rebuild and or a look at the ignitions system. Provided the health of the engine is determined to be good.

Back