Logo

Overheating with working water pump?

jackzav

This fall, my 2000 35hp Evinrude 3 cyl started acting up. Even though there was plenty of COLD water flowing through the system, it would go into "safe" mode and restrict the speed I could run. This happened before when it really did overheat, so I know what it is doing.

This sounds like a bad temp sensor to me? What do others think? Could it really be overheating if the water is pumping? If it's a sensor, how hard is it to replace?

Thanks!

Is this motor running with the oil injection system in service ??-------If it is then take that off and throw it away as far as you can.

I have the 25hp Johnson version of that Engine. Mine did the same thing a couple years ago, it was a bad thermostat. Just because it is "peeing" cool water doesn't mean it is circulating properly through the head. As kimcrwbr1 said, hold your hand on the head and check the temp. there. If you haven't already, need to get rid of that oiling system and premix 50:1.

I did get rid of the oil injection and have been running pre-mix for about 5 years. I will check the temp on the head. It is pissing water. Is it a fairly simple replacement for the thermostat or how do I get at it?

It's easy. It is located on the top of the head above the top spark plug. Simply unscrew the one that is in there, and screw the new one in. Be easy when unscrewing or removing it with a wrench (cant remember the size), the plastic housing the wrench fits on can be a little brittle/fragile. Thermostat part number is 0436079. Shows obsolete, may have to search around a little to find the entire assy, or, they do show all the components are available to rebuild one. See link below.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1997/J35RMLEUR/CYLINDER%20%26%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

Back