Logo

1985 johnson 25 hp

jepik

starter or solenoid...if I would loose the nut on the top center shaft,it would engage and start.. is that the starter or solenoid?..thanks

Stating "Top Center Shaft" would suggest that there are other shafts surrounding whatever shaft you're speaking of. Are you speaking of the nut that is on top of the starter armature that retains the starter bendix drive... or the top large nut of a starter solenoid.... what?

Your problem needs to be expressed in detail.

Stating "Top Center Shaft" would suggest that there are other shafts surrounding whatever shaft you're speaking of. Are you speaking of the nut that is on top of the starter armature that retains the starter bendix drive... or the top large nut of a starter solenoid.... what?

Your problem needs to be expressed in detail.

the nut on the top of the armature..I would loosen that just a little and starter would work..now nothing..thanks

No doubt it is a "Bosch" electric starter. I just looked in the parts manual to see if there was any way tightening that retaining nut could possibly affect the starter, and of course it must absolutely be tight. I see no possible way that the tightness/looseness factor could have any bearing on the operation of the starter.

There is only four items (top to bottom).... the nut, the cup type cap which faces cup side down, the spring, and the bendix gear itself. However.... if you or someone installed a makeshift spring from a hardware store or wherever which is the wrong strength, that could prevent the bendix gear from rising to engage the flywheel ring gear.

Is that what's happening... the gear refuses to rise to engage the flywheel... OR... are you saying that the electric motor doesn't spin at all?

You need to explain in detail, otherwise we have to guess what the actual problem is.

this fall the starter motor would not turn at all..brought it to outboard mech.to get it fixed.. he took a small cresent wrench,turn the nut a little.. hit the key.. motor turned over..I done this a few times after that..just barely move it..it would work... now it will not do anything..nobody installed anything on the starter..motor does not spin at all... you would not have to do this every time, but if you went a wk. or more then it was cresent wrench time.thanks..

Okay, that indicates two possible problems.........

1 - The armature is sticking due to having water enter it somehow and the slight turning of the nut temporarily freed it enough to allow it to function..... until it sat again for awhile and became stuck again

2 - The armature's commutator area that the brushes ride upon has a dead spot. Turning the nut slightly resets the brush upon a different are of the commutator that allows the starter to function "temporarily".

In either case, it is essential to have the starter torn down, trouble shot, and repaired or replaced. I suggest you find a different mechanic also.

Back