Logo

1955 johnson 10 hp (qd16?) good motors?

dkonrai

Regular Contributor
i have a chance to pick up a 1955 johnson, 10 hp. its been hiding in a shed for over 30 years. seems to be in really nice shape. now silly how to questions..
just some feedback on if its worth working on? and if they are good runners? seen some videos on them.
can i run 24-1? i use synthetic blend 2 stroke oil can i go as lean as 34-1? i dont think i can run 50-1.
thanks
dino

Looking closer it does have needle bearings for the crank and connecting rod I would imagine you could go with 50:1 oil mix someone here would know better but for sure 32:1 would be OK. Back then they used 30wHD engine oil for mix

kim,
thank you for clearing the fuel ratio question. i have a few cans of seafoam so i will give it a foggin'. i had a couple of 3 hp, that were of the same vintage, had the built in fuel tanks.
only reason i am looking into the motor, its free, i need to drive about 3 hours each way to acquire the motor. he has the tank, original owner was the father whom bought it new.
i always thought the 55's looked pretty cool. owner is going to check to see if the flywheel still turns.
anyone know how much these motors weigh?

These motors suffer from bad wrist pin bushings.----------If bad they have a rattle at idle.----That was not corrected untill the 62 models when they went to a big needle bearing set up on the wrist pin ( same as the 125 HP V-4 of later years ) and no more problems there.----Not a good idea to run 50:1 on these.---------------------They do have a heftier lower unit compared to the 58 and later QD models.----------An excellent motor if in good shape.---------The 62 / 63 pistons and rods can be installed in the 55 models to correct for bad wrist pin bushings.---In most places you will get comments at the launch ramp if it starts and runs nice.----These motors are not as heavy as you might think, probably no heavier than a 1985 9.9 model.

Last edited:
racerone,
i dont know if i want to tear apart the motor. need to pick her up and see what is needed. i am just happy to add another one to the collection :)
dino

It may well be in good shape, you never know untill you check these things out.---------------Picked up a Martin 20 ( 2.3 HP ) and those Martin outboards were really well built. May not require any more money to get it running like new.--That Martin was sitting outside in the elements for some time.

tired, i brought her home :) drove three hours down and back. complete pretty clean, picts to follow. compression 70/70 after 25 years of sitting. i dumped some oil in the cylinders just because .. i have spark too.
till tomorrow,
dino

it turns out to be a qd15 or a 1954. here is some eye candy
DSCN0215_zps69503060.jpg

DSCN0213_zpsfc1f7d22.jpg

DSCN0212_zps84c6fcdb.jpg

tank clean up well
DSCN0210_zps9bacce38.jpg

DSCN0208_zps9baba599.jpg

so cool
DSCN0207_zps33b58230.jpg

dino

Nice looking motor hanging on a $1000.00 auxiliary motor bracket.

yah sorry about the bad looking kicker mount. the guy i had do the aluminum plate, didnt understand that it needed to be at a 15 degree or more angle. he made it a 90, and didnt charge me. but thanks :)

dino

tired, i brought her home :) drove three hours down and back. complete pretty clean, picts to follow. compression 70/70 after 25 years of sitting. i dumped some oil in the cylinders just because .. i have spark too.
till tomorrow,
dino

that was three hours down to fresno, and then three hours back. do i need help??

that was three hours down to fresno, and then three hours back. do i need help??

Face it, it's an addiction. I know, I'm the same way. But, for a 6 hour drive, you got a nice running piece of history. Look at it this way. That motor is almost 60 years old, and runs. Do you think that a new motor from today is still going to be running in 60 years? Or parts will be available for it?

Last edited:
Face it, it's an addiction. I know, I'm the same way. But, for a 6 hour drive, you got a nice running piece of history. Look at it this way. That motor is almost 60 years old, and runs. Do you think that a new motor from today is still going to be running in 60 years? Or parts will be available for it?

ummm border line hoarding :) but on a serious note, no i dont think most of the 4 strokes will be running in 20 years let alone in 50 or 60 years. as for parts, there are some motors that are a few years young and cant find parts now.

i have a omc addiction and admit it. these are such fine examples of engineering that made sense. interchangeable parts between years, easy hp upgrades (carb changes) parts o plenty! basic concept of mechanical knowledge and anyone can work on the motor. right now i have the three vintage motors, my 72 johnson 20/25 thats a beast, a 89 evi 4hp (still not running) and a 76 9.9/15, also a parts seized 83 7.5 parts motor. in the parts bin, lies a 82 short 9.9, and a 83 9.9 sailmaster. the mrs has given up on me...

dino

You're not alone. I too am an OMC hoarder/fixer. I have 3 1958 Evinrudes, a 5 1/2 I restored from 2 milk crates of parts, an 18 that I've had since 79, and a 35. I've also got Johnsons, an 85 115, an 81 115, a 91 115, and an 89 150. Just for something different, I also have a 1977 20 Merc, that my dad bought new. Also, a 1965 50 Merc, and a 1963 40 Gale. For parts, there are 2 more 50 Mercs from the 60's, and another 40 Gale. This is AFTER I cleaned out my hoard this fall. Except for the parts motors, these all run, and run well.

I can get parts for any of the OMC's, but not for the Mercs. Another reason to like OMC's. Opps, forgot a motor...a 1940 2 1/5 hp Johnson..it runs too.

I don't have a Mrs to give up on me..I can only give up on myself. :)

You're not alone. I too am an OMC hoarder/fixer. I have 3 1958 Evinrudes, a 5 1/2 I restored from 2 milk crates of parts, an 18 that I've had since 79, and a 35. I've also got Johnsons, an 85 115, an 81 115, a 91 115, and an 89 150. Just for something different, I also have a 1977 20 Merc, that my dad bought new. Also, a 1965 50 Merc, and a 1963 40 Gale. For parts, there are 2 more 50 Mercs from the 60's, and another 40 Gale. This is AFTER I cleaned out my hoard this fall. Except for the parts motors, these all run, and run well.

I can get parts for any of the OMC's, but not for the Mercs. Another reason to like OMC's. Opps, forgot a motor...a 1940 2 1/5 hp Johnson..it runs too.

I don't have a Mrs to give up on me..I can only give up on myself. :)

bill,
thanks, now i dont feel so bad. the biggest motor in the corral is my 87 merc, classic 50 45hp hanging off the bayliner. i wanted a 48 spl, but the merc was all i could find for the $$. i too cleaned out the garage, and now i have restocked the garage as well as the side yard. the last three additions of motors brings my total to about 28 motors in the last three years. im happy im down to less than 10.

omc parts are so much easier to find than other brands. cost is a factor too. omc overall is less than mercs let alone the japanese motors. my only gripe is that i wish the omc fuel pumps were as simple to fix as mercs.

dino

Glad I could help you feel beter. You know, I've never rebuilt a fuel pump. Must be luck I guess.

bill,
i guess you dont have ethanol in your petrol. if you did, you would be having the same issues as most of us down south. now if i could just this darn thing running smooth.

Oh, we have the ethanol issue here in the north too. Fuel lines, diaphrams in my old sled carbs, anything rubber gets eaten. I try and run premium fuel that doesn't have ethanol in it.

Is there any movement up and down on the armature plate if so you need to replace the plate and ring there should be no movement up and down and the plate should move in a nice smooth motion stop to stop?

kim,
there doesnt seem to be any up n down movement. the more i look into this motor i gather it was hardly run. prop is mint, all original inside, hoses, clamps, carb was never taken apart. things are a little sticky, as its not been run for so long. coils were shot as were the condensers. i left the points bc even tho original there was no pitting or dome'd points at all. very nice condition under the flywheel. got her running pretty good today, with some used coils. should run better when the replacements come in.

question, while barrel running she got really hot! i mean cant touch the power head hot. she was spitting water out the exhaust good, but i dont know if she needs to be in the water? is it common for the motor to get hot while bucket running? this is the first vintage i have owned, so sorry for the stupid question.

dino

Do you know if it has ever seen salt water? You should be able to hold your hand on the head for a slow count of six maybe put it in a barrel of salt-a-way and run it for a bit. If you didnt change the impeller just do it now sitting for any amount of time and the impeller gets hard and loses its flex and will break up in short order. I used to clean points and regap but found just replacing with new points and condensers whenever you have to pull the flywheel is the best for preventive maintenance especially if you replace the coils. Another tip allways pull the armature plate and install the wires and boots on the coils before you install the coils in the armature plate. If the boots look cracked or hard put new boots and wires also. The only thing you should mess with on the water is fouled plugs that way. Clean the feeler guage and points with rubbing alcohol or acetone when you gap them also. I take a picture of the bottom of the armature plate before you pull the coils so you know how it goes back together. A good upgrade is adding kill wires from both sets of coils down to a kill switch it makes restarting alot easier just set the idle speed around 650 rpms it will start every time with about half a pull on the rope.

i have a new set of points laying around somewhere in the garage. as for the new impeller, i admit i was a little lazy. will give the impeller a swap and will keep updates as they happen. also got my new/used coils in the mail today. nice!

dino

update,
finally got around to working on the motor.

replaced the coils, got a used pair off a auction site 22.00 delivered
smiley.gif

replaced the condensers and points.

new spark plug wires and plugs.

cleaned the carb ( i think i need to do a little more carb work, maybe new needle, seat and float)

replaced the orings on the fuel connector.the gas can had some old gas, prob 5 or 6 years old but it seems to be fine. gas is nice and clear.

but now she runs pretty good, almost purring. cant wait to give her a run on the water. think she will troll down nicely. this is the first vintage motor ever. im pretty happy at the results. seems they really built these solid. really a nice runner.

here is a vid.
<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.63636302947998px; background-color: rgb(254, 254, 254);">

Yea thats a keeper, adjust the low speed needle in gear for a nice smooth idle and then point toward the big part of the lake and go WOT and adjust the high speed for best performance then go back to idle in gear adjust it lean until it cuts out and back for a nice smooth idle 1/8 turn at a time and wait 20 seconds between adjustments. after you get it to idle good turn the slow needle out 1/4 turn and then center both knobs stop to stop. You want the slow speed mix a little rich for quick cold starts and to protect the motor when trolling for long periods. Running 24:1 oil mix it is a good idea to carry spare plugs and tools for quick changes if a plug fouls out there. Good job

kim,
thanks, cant wait to get it out on the water. hoping a little wot is all she needs. been a long time since its been running. great tip on the 1/4 turn for the idle.
i will carry at least a spare set, if not two sets of plugs. i plan on trolling this motor :) she should be a great trolling motor
dino

Back