Logo

starter gear won't disengage

Rick G

I have 1979 Evinrude outboard motor, Model #35953A.
Have changed solenoid and starter switch, trying to solve the problem, with no results.
After it is started solenoid switch won't disengage.
Can someone please help me?

First check to make sure that it is the solenoid jamming, throwing voltage to the electric starter..... Remove the spark plug leads from all of the spark plugs so that the engine will not actually start and run.

Turn the key to the first position, the RUN position, not the START position. Did the electric starter engage to crank the engine? If so, you have the ignition switch wired wrong. If not, continue reading.

Turn the key to the START position and crank the engine over about a half dozen times, then release the key to the RUN position.

Is the electric starter still cranking the engine? If so, then obviously that second starter solenoid is also shorting out. This is caused by the following.............

(Starter Solenoid Sticking)
(J. Reeves)

Sooner or later a boater will encounter a situation wherethe key is released from the START to the RUN position, or to the OFF position and the boater suddenly realizes that the electric starter is still running. This is due to having the starter solenoid sticking in the closed (contact) position. Sometimes a whack to the solenoid will unstick it temporarily but usually it's necessary to remove the cable from the battery.

The cause? A weak battery or even a top notch battery that is running low in power causes a arcing within the solenoid that eventually welds the two opposing large terminals together.... the two opposing terminals being the large incoming positive battery solenoid terminal connection and the large terminal leading from the solenoid to the starter. The return spring with ther solenoid simply isn't strong enough to break that weld resulting in the continued flow of voltage to the starter.

The cure? If the battery is flawed, get rid of it and purchase a top notch battery. And also...... Replace the solenoid. Don't play with it, trusting that it won't happen again because it absolutely will, and that happening is usually in the worse possible scenario.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back