Logo

1960 5.5 hp Johnson Seahorse

baugh55grfmj

I will be re-ringing and re gaskketing my cd17 5.5hp johnson seahorse soon. Is there any thing i should be aware of before i tear into it? Also is there a seal on the top under the flywheel? I thought there was but have not located a part on the diagrams. Also where is a decent source for rings?

Magically those early motors just had a slinger at the top of the crankand a way for that not to leak.-----How did you determine that it needs new rings ??-----------How long have you owned it ?----------------Just picked up a low hrs 1961 model for $25.00 that already had the new coils.

Well, i havent determined if it needs new rings ....yet, but I want to make the ole girl run like new if I can. I've had it 2 yrs i bought it from a friend that had it since the 80's. I rebuilt the carb and points and condensors so far. It starts a little hard at times and leaves a pollution trail in the water that the greenies would just love. But I figured I would try to freshen the rest of the motor up.
There really isnt much info and how to's about thes type of motors either. Just shmucks like me asking questions is all that a google search will come up with. This was a good site http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Evinrude%20Johnson%205.5%20HP%201954-1964%20Ignition%20System%20Tune-up.htm but is no longer available

If it has had " normal " use with a 24:1 mixture then I doubt that the rings are worn out.-----------Will spark jump an actual gap of 1/4" with a snap you can hear ?------Poor spark is a major reason for the " hard to start condition " on these motors.----Yes they will leave a trail on the water and that was normal for a 1950's design.-Simple tools and common sense is all that is needed to repair and maintain one of these.--------If you do a real search on google you can find a manual that covers that motor.----------Look for " johnson 1922 to 1964 " and it should come up for you. Hundreds of pages of good outboard information , including your motor.

Back