Logo

Cracked carb plastic dome, 1986 Johnson 6hp

redfishsc

Contributing Member
I pulled out the breather today on this old motor and found this.

Here is a pic of the plastic top of my carb. I'm only somewhat familiar with carbs, but I know this isn't a good thing.

The motor does run iffy and unpredictably.

I pulled the top off and inspected the underside. Seemed OK, the crack doesn't go all the way through. But there are a lot of little ports inside the housing and I fear that it's allowing air to leak in (I may be totally wrong on this).

Unfortunately this is an "obsolete part" that I can't find anywhere. Any thoughts? If you suspect it's actually causing an air leak, think some epoxy or JB smothered over it would seal it up sufficiently?

CAM00012.jpg

Folks break those by tightening the screws way too much, should only be about 10 inch lbs.-------Try the J-B weld.---------Also look for other issues with the motor.---Perhaps post results of a compression test.

Thanks guys, I'll try the JB patch first.

Seawaymarine lists it as "call us". I will call them soon just to see. Perhaps they have an alternative part.

If this thing ends up being actually ruined (after I test out all other things such as cleaning the actual carb, compression, etc), is it possible to retro on a carb from a similar year, perhaps one of the 1985 or older versions that had a choke and no plastic top?

i hope that the carb cover isnt warped in addition to the crack. any slight imperfections in the cover will allow air to leak. jmho. i had the same problem with a 15hp, no crack but had a slight warpage.
check the auction sites as well. good luck, might find a carb?
dino

Back