Logo

'91 50Hp gearcase shift cradle

HairPulledOut!

Hello.

I have a XJ50BELEIA which isn't shifting well since the water pump impeller was replaced. Upon inspection, I did not find the shift cradle (Part 0332507) so the problem made sense. I ordered a new cradle but it's too wide to slip into place around the shift dog shaft due to the narrow alley where I must slip it into place.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

How long have you owned the motor ?----Was it shifting OK before the waterpump work ?-----------Do you have the propshaft assembly out of the gear case ?

I've owned it for a few years and yes, it was shifting perfect before the impeller change. I do not have the propshaft out of the gearcase.

thanks for your reply.

Correction. I got the motor after it sat under the pine trees for 15 years. The first thing I did after cleaning the carbs and running it for 10 seconds (just to see if I had a viable motor) was to replace the impeller. So I never got a chance to see how it shifted.

I find it hard to believe that the shifter cradle would be missing.----------Where did you look for the cradle.----How did you determine it was missing.-------It sits way up at the front of the gearcase.

while removing the lower end to replace the impeller, I inadvertently removed the shift rod and the shift lever instead of disconnecting the rod at the top. I know it's missing cause I sprayed brake cleaner onto the shift dog shaft after draining the oil. I can see clearly that it's now where to be found. The shift lever is riding directly on the dog shaft allowing too much play. I hope we're talking about the same cradle. It's shift rod to shift lever to shift cradle to shift dog shaft. It's #12.

shift-rod.jpg

I know what a cradle looks like.---------------I think you may have to pull the lower unit apart and start from scratch.

Why would I have to pull it apart? The order of assembly must be shift dog shaft inserted - then cradle installed. You can't put the cradle in first then drive home the dog shaft.

Please explain.

Back