Logo

1986 6hp Johnson... just bought, got a few questions (primer-choke, throttle, and rewind)

redfishsc

Contributing Member
I just bought a 1986 Johnson 6hp along with a 14' Starcraft aluminum and trailer (with new wheels, bearings, and tires). Paid $500 for the whole setup so I think I got a good deal.

The Johnson does run. It is a J6RLCDE although a short shaft would have been a better choice for this boat.

Now, the Johnson doesn't run well. I can get it to start but it has several problems. I'm not much of a motor repair guy so I'll do my best to describe them. I have never owned one of these, and I am sure you will find something obvious that I should know, so try not to laugh at me to much lol.

Please take a look at these issues and tell me what you think needs to be investigated.

1) Primer pump seems to be malfunctioning. It doesn't automatically retract when you pull it all the way out, you have to push it back in. Motor will only run if you have it pulled out showing the red line (acting as a choke). If you have it all the way in, or all the way out, motor starves and dies. This is a $70 part. Is it possible to pull this out and retro-in a basic choke????? Is it usually the o-rings going bad, or is it best just to buy a new assembly for $70? Any way to bypass this??

2) The tiller handle won't operate the throttle properly. I'm not sure where to look for problems here. Once I start the motor, the tiller handle only gives me idle speed adjustment, whether in gear or NOT. I can put it in gear but it just goes from a slow idle (threatening to die off) to fast idle (a bit more stable of an idle).

--- However, if I open the cover, and look under the rewind pull and find the small silver plate that appears to be the throttle (there is an adjustment screw touching it), and press it by hand, the motor revvs to life and will run quite strong in short bursts, and then slows down. The best I can get seems to be around 1/2 to 2/3 of full RPM. It will wind up to a higher RPM (maybe full throttle?) very briefly when I hit the silver plate. I ran this boat for about 45 minutes the other day doing this. Hurt my arm like heck but at least I got the motor warmed up and run some.

3) One part on the rewind pull is missing (broken)--- the cam follower and lever. It was on it when I bought it, but was broken and was jamming up the rewind (couldn't pull start the motor). So I removed it. It's part #10 on this link. My question is this---- does this cam follower have anything to do, maybe, with the throttle and tiller handle controls?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1986/J6RLCDE/REWIND STARTER/parts.html

# 10 is there to prevent operation of the starter when throttle is advanced too far.--------The primer is a pump.----It pulls fuel from the carburetor bowl and injects that fuel when you push it in.-It does not return on it's own.-When it is held all the way out the motor will get too much fuel when running.--------------------Sounds like the carburetor needs to be cleaned first.

# 10 is there to prevent operation of the starter when throttle is advanced too far.

OK, thanks for your help. In other words, it does something to keep me from pulling the cord when the throttle is too far open, and thus starting the engine into a wide-open throttle (high RPM in neutral). Correct?

--------The primer is a pump.----It pulls fuel from the carburetor bowl and injects that fuel when you push it in.-It does not return on it's own.-When it is held all the way out the motor will get too much fuel when running.--------------------

OK, understood. I was reading on another page about these primer pumps on this generation and they said it was supposed to retract on it's own, but obviously they could be wrong.

Sounds like the carburetor needs to be cleaned first.

Most likely my biggest culprit. Any suggestions on a how-to guide for someone who's never cleaned a carb? I would assume this requires (on this small thing) removing the carb to clean up in places you can't access when it's on the motor.

I'm not terribly familiar with small engines like this but I can learn quick enough. I do understand the basics of a 2-cycle engine but the nuts-n-bolts are a big unknown to me.

I do appreciate your help!

Right, thanks.

I did see Leeroysramblings, his site is the one that said the primer knob should automatically retract about halfway. Mine doesn't but i'm not sure if that's a problem.

I just posted another question about the top of the carb being cracked, and I can't find a part to replace it, they all say "obsolete".

Back