Logo

81 Johnson 150 trim motor

81grady

Hello I'm just checking to see if anyone can give me any pointers on how to change my 81 Johnson 150 trim motor it is the 2 wire and it is stuck in the down position. Thanks

The 1981 V6 engine is equipped with a three wire electric motor on the PTT assembly. You either have a later model engine or someone has updated the electric system of the PTT unit.

The two wire system uses two relays for the up/down mode. The three wire system uses direct wiring for the down mode and a solenoid for the up mode. Confirm the system you have to be specific.

Are you sure that the electric motor is faulty? Does the electric motor run in either direction but the engine doesn't move OR doesn't the electric motor run at all... in either the up or down mode?

If indeed a two wire electric motor, and the electric motor runs in one direction but not the other and you can hear a clicking sound, that indicates a relay problem, not a electric motor problem.

You don't mention if you have tested the electric motor via direct wiring..... trace the wires from the motor back to its connector, unplug it, then run small jumper wires directly from the battery to it.

We can guide you in whatever you need to do BUT we miust know exactly what the problem is.

Last edited:
1981 was the change over yr for either 2 wire or 3 wire t/t mts. Post a model # along with the suffix which will tell which one you have.

Back