Logo

Evinrude 4 hp 2 stroke problem.

modopopcorn

Hello everyone!

I have an Evinrude 4 hp 2-strokes that doesn't work as it should, it is from the mid 80's I believe.

The problem is that when the engine is cold, it works pretty good, it accellerate quite ok and it is very easy to start. However, when it starts to get warm, I have to push the choke on an of constantly for the engine to keep running. I have cleaned the carburetor, blown clean nozzles and the sparkplugs look good. I have adjusted all the different ways on the carburetor without it making any difference. My brothers father in-law sometimes tinkering with outboard engines and he thinks it may be a problem with the gasket to the crankcase.

After reading around on various forums, it feels like a likely problem but I would still like to have some more tips and tricks on things that may be worth checking out so I don't tear the engine apart for no reason. It would also be nice if someone would be kind enough to point out exactly which gasket I'm going to check if I will have to tear the engine apart

Schematics

It spits out water ok, my brother in law has a Johnson 4 hp 2 stroke from the 90's and it doesn't squirt more water than this engine, and it runs just fine. Thanks for the tip anyway, I will check the impeller right away tomorrow just to make sure! =)

I've taken apart the carburetor and taken a few photos, the intake manifold gasket isn't looking good.

In the bottom left corner there is a damage to the gasket, and on the engine it looks like this.

There's a lot fluids in the holes beneath the intake holes.

I'm struggling to get the float loose and any tip on how to do it without causing any damage to it would be great!

When I removed the nozzle in the middle of the float the needle that runs through gave a lot of resistance, when I carefully removed it I saw that the needle isn't centered, could this be a problem?

Back