Logo

looking for information/opions on 1990 185hp johnson

bleedblue94

i am looking at switching out my current 1983 175hp johnson for a 1990 185hp johnson i have found locally. reasons i am considering it are the charging system upgrade (10 amp on the 175 and 35 amp on the 185) along with the power upgrade since i believe the 175 is crank rated while the 185 is prop rated.

model is j185esxess
serial is g02552975

i have not gone to see the motor yet, but can you guys tell me from the model/serial is this a looper or a crossflow motor? am i correct in the basic improvements regarding the power increase and the charging increase? any other information you guys can give me on this motor? i see it was only in production for a short time so that has me slightly curious

obviously i would be giving the motor a solid going thru before purchasing, but if it is in good condition what would be a fair price for this motor?

thanks guys

It is a looper.--------It was NOT in production for a short time.-------It was only " marketed " as a 185 for a short time , just to fit in with other HP motors.

It is a looper.--------It was NOT in production for a short time.-------It was only " marketed " as a 185 for a short time , just to fit in with other HP motors.

Ok makes sense. Any general feel for the reliability ect of this model?

Am I correct about the real world power differnces between the two motors based on their years and prop vs crank rating?

Am I correct about the charge system differences?

Thanks

More cubic inches means more usable power and propshaft rated.---Charging system puts out more.------For 2 years the decal said " 185 " , but design was used for many more years.

Back