Logo

Where to place fuel primer bulb?

wassajet

Contributing Member
Hi, i need to relocate my fuel tank from the stern to the bow of my 14 foot runabout because after installing a second battery i have too much weight at the stern.What i need to know is can i locate the fuel primer bulb up the front next to where i steer to save going down the back near the motor every time i need to prime the fuel line. The primer bulb will be about 4 feet from the petrol tank which means there will be about another 10 feet of fuel line before it connects to the 55hp. Johnson motor.Will this be ok or does the primer bulb need to be closer to the motor? As by now you will probably be aware i am a novice when it comes to motors, so any help will be appreciated please.

Well I don't see where it would matter the primer bulb just pressurizes the fuel line for the motor. But it u think about it the rear is the best place to put the primer, when u are getting the boat ready to launch just reach in and pump it up. it should stay pressurized for the complete trip, if u are having to pump it up several time on the same trip u may have other problems.

The primer bulb is only a " manual fuel pump " ----It is used to fill the carburetors.----------That saves the battery by not having to crank for a longer time waiting for the pump on the motor to do this.----Or it saves one from getting " popeye arms " on a manual start motor.------Put the bulb next to where you steer if you like that.

The fuel pum is a LOW pressure pump.Adding more hose will make it less effective. It only weighs about 2- ounces. The extra hose will add maybe 2 pounds??? Not much at all. The ball is for the inital start up. Then it's just there till the next time. It will go soft after you start and it doesn't need to be firm after that. You can put it next to the motor or under the deck. Best is out of the sun, makes it hard. If you need to pump the ball all the time to start or run then there is another problem. For some reason I'm having trouble typing on this site.It just wants to run everything all together??? No paragraphs or single sentances??

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you for your quick response to my post & thanks also to Marine Engine for such a great site. I will put the primer bulb up near the petrol tank now i know it's ok to do that. Once i prime the motor i don't have to use it again on the same trip so i don't seem to have any problems there. hope you all get" Popeye arms" from landing plenty of fish. Thanks again.

you will sooner or later have a problem where you will want to pump the bulb for diagnostic purposes..i would put it where i could pump it from where i operate the boat...just my opinion..

Yes i have put it up the front where i steer the boat from,the petrol tank is also up the front & the motor is running good thanks.

Thats Great! sorry for gettting long in the gab! Did you get a chance in working on those Popeye arms? and by the way lil brother from down yonder! what is that perto stuff is like corn wiskey! burns kinda hot! And I have a Marlin in 35 rem. never had to hoist it in but have had it jump back and kiss me!

Back