Logo

rebuilt fuel pump

scruffy63

Regular Contributor
I have several Evinrude Johnson fuel pumps that were bad. I bought a couple kits and tried to rebuilt them. They leak. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Does anyone rebuild these pumps that I can send them to? Or give me advice on how to do it right?

I think there is a site something like ----leroys ramblings-------and it has step by step details on how to work on them.----------Not much to them really.

I used 800 grit sandpaper on a flat surface for the metal outers, moving in one direction (the same method used to ensure carb bowls are flat) to make sure they were completely flat and my recently rebuilt pump doesn't event sweat at the moment. You didn't say where they leaked so just a thought that may help

They leaked somewhere between the diaphram opposite the fuel in fitting. I will try again and do the sanding and double check everything. But sure would rather have them rebuilt by someone that knows more than me. Unless it's just better to buy new. I see they are going for around $40. on Ebay.

The black plastic cover may be cracked.-----------------These pumps rarely leak.---These pumps do not require any magic to repair them.

Is there any site to help with rebuilding process. I probably got something together wrong. I have several to do and kits but not any experience.

Back