Logo

81 4.5 evi, so sad how peeps treat their motors

dkonrai

Regular Contributor
bought this motor mainly for the thumb screws. really clean 81 4.5. low hours..... but the ph was frozen shut. tried the shot of oil in the pistons. so i pullled the motor apart today and this is what i find

DSCN0187.jpgDSCN0186.jpgDSCN0185.jpg

there is no penetrating oil that can help this poor motor. guy tells me that he used it last winter, and couldnt start it. gee i wonder why? strange marks on the top of the pistons. i made a few with a screw driver to see if it had a busted crank. really sad to see this, the block is pretty much scrap too. :(
anyone looking for some parts?
dinob

That is sad. I have a 84 Johnson 4.5 (that I rescued) for a kicker on my Lund, and I probably put more hours on it then the 70. My wife had back problems and prefers slow and scenic (trolling) to fast & bouncy. As she calls it, "driving Miss Daisy". Those are great little motors. With rising cost of new motors these days, It don't make sense not to take care of the one you have.

Most folks simply have no idea of what is inside one of these fine motors.---They are not aware of how much damage is done when water gets inside them.--I like picking up non seized ones for parts as a lot of the internals are NLA from the factory.

I wonder if the idiot had something through the plug holes, trying to hammer on the pistons to get them to move? Idiot!! Then we get a post, "my rewind is jammed, the motor won't turn over", and we spend half a day walking the guy through trouble shooting a rewind. Idiots!!

I wonder if the idiot had something through the plug holes, trying to hammer on the pistons to get them to move? Idiot!! Then we get a post, "my rewind is jammed, the motor won't turn over", and we spend half a day walking the guy through trouble shooting a rewind. Idiots!!

when i went to see the motor i asked a few questions.
how long did the motor sit? "since last winter" hahahaha right
what happened to the pull starter? "it broke trying to start the motor"
did you buy this new? "yes i am the original owner"
did you ever fog the motor? "i live in san francisco, i have fog everyday! besides i left the motor in the garage"

so that was about the conversation i had. i realized then and there that this guy had no clue. i offered 40 bucks, he wanted 75, so we agreed at 60. my hope was that i could get the motor free'd up, but after three days of soaking i knew there was no hope. so sunday i pulled her apart. so sad. these are such great motors :(

I buy and fix motors from the 50's and 60's. I've never seen one that bad. Then again, if it won't turn over, I don't buy it. I've also pulled old motors from the 30's and 40's out from under cottages that were sitting there for god knows how many years, and got them running. These were motors that were abandoned, and came back to life. None ever looked like that. I think that you really have to work at screwing something up that bad!!

funny you should ask about the lu. it is in almost mint condition as is the prop. she spins just fine. shifts in and out of gear perfectly. i havent taken the lu apart, or tested the seals. i still need to see what the oil looks like too.
DSCN0196.jpgDSCN0195.jpgDSCN0194.jpgDSCN0193.jpg

another shot of the inside of the case
DSCN0193.jpgDSCN0192.jpg

If the oil looks good all you need is a powerhead I dont see that one as ever being servicable. The price of clean aluminum is still pretty good here! Thats gonna be my project this summer looking for good parts for cheap and scrapping the aluminum.
no i dont see the powerhead as ever seeing service again. really pains me.....if only the po would have fogged the darn thing. the reeds were full of strange rusted sand (?) maybe the motor took a dunk? strange thing is there is no rust anywhere. so i doubt the motor did take a dunk.
dino

Heres my theory he had water in the fuel tank and pumped the carb full of water and tried to start it after pulling on the rope about 150 times he gave up and put it away for a couple years and when it wouldnt turn over stuck a long 3/8 extension into the spark plug holes and took a hammer to it. Hopefully he didnt try and fix the gearbox:)

+1 that sounds about correct. my guess is that is the reason for all the gunk/rust in the reeds. bad fuel in a metal tank. a good buddy told me to NEVER run a metal tank with todays gas. claim was the alcohol caused the old tanks to have a fine film of white corrosion that plugs the fuel systems. (dont know how folks here feel about that theory?)
i havent taken apart the carb but now you have my curiosity :) the marks on the pistons does look like a extension was used to attempt to free the piston. hey kim my guess is you have seen this in the past?

Whatever the cause of the rust, it was the result of neglect. For the amount of rust on the crank, it had a fair bit of water/moisture in it when it was put away. For the sake of a bit of oil poured into the cylinders and a few turns, it might still be useable. Actually, looking at the crank again, I wonder if he ran it on straight gas and seized it? Even put away wet, the crank shouldn't have rusted like that. There should still have been residual oil on it.

People with lots of money can afford to treat their machines like this.--------Saddest thing I saw was a new 25 HP E-tec , about 1 hr on it.---Boat sank at the dock ( submerged for a week) and motor was deemed " not worth fixing " and scrapped for parts.----Too much fancy stuff on it that required replacement.

People with lots of money can afford to treat their machines like this.--------Saddest thing I saw was a new 25 HP E-tec , about 1 hr on it.---Boat sank at the dock ( submerged for a week) and motor was deemed " not worth fixing " and scrapped for parts.----Too much fancy stuff on it that required replacement.

ok i think i would have broken down and cried like a baby. now that is sad :( dont know if you have seen my previous post about a 9.9 sailmaster i picked up. that had a blown powerhead, another case of "cant fix stupid" syndrome. the only reason i bought the sailmaster was for the 15hp carb, starter with stat/rectifier. i also needed a roller cam and throttle cam for my 82 project. paid a hundo for that one (a little high, but hey it did have electric start that works pretty good)

my neighbor gave me a 72 evi, 4hp motor that was never really ran. his dad stored it in a shed, neighbor stuck it in a shed for 26 years or so. the dad did fog the motor probably back in the late 70's. i cleaned the outside, plugged in some new fuel and it started in the second pull. motor ran fantastic. case being that i know that if a motor is fogged before storing the motor doesnt freeze up. the evi started after at least 25 years of non use.

tragic how some peeps are. sorry just venting.

dino

Go ahead and vent. Sometimes I read posts on here, and wonder just how stupid/dumb some people can be and still survive in the world. If they are really dumb questions, I don't answer or reply, I just shake my head in disbelief. There was one a while ago, how do I check the oil level? It was a 2 stroke motor. That one cracked me up.

Go ahead and vent. Sometimes I read posts on here, and wonder just how stupid/dumb some people can be and still survive in the world. If they are really dumb questions, I don't answer or reply, I just shake my head in disbelief. There was one a while ago, how do I check the oil level? It was a 2 stroke motor. That one cracked me up.

:D now thats funny. ya know, ya cant fix stupid
dino

Back