Logo

96 J150 shift trouble

fontleyroy

Hi everyone I am new member of the forum and wanted to get some help with my problem so I can fix before the spring. I have a J150 ELEUE which I have identified as a Johnson 150HP, Electric start long shaft 1997 model. I had trouble with the shifting when I took it out last season. The shifter will not engage either in forward or reverse. You can hear some clicking and or grinding when you try and engage the shifter but it will not engage. If you use your finger to shift physically it will click in both forward and reverse. Does anyone have any recommendations on the proper repair of the above problem? Also, can anyone recommend the best maintenance manual for the engine? Thanks in advance to any and all help you may be able to provide!

This is for anyone else that may have had this problem. I fixed the shifting trouble by replacing the two o-rings in the lower unit that ride on the shifting shaft. With gasket and new oil cost me $25.00. Easy repair only tip I may impart is make sure you lube the new o-rings up nice and good before you install.

Back