Logo

1980 Johnson 7.5hp stalling

RDagg

After sitting for a couple months it stalls out and sometimes wont start. It was running good before that.

Now it will sometimes run fine for 10-15 minutes then suddenly it will just wind down and stall. Then it doesn't want to start again.

I can sometimes keep it going by toggling the choke when it wants to stall, but sometimes it doesn't help.

Inspected the plugs, they look like they have water on them. Thought it was water in the gas so got new gas. No help.

Rebuilt the carb, no help.

Any ideas?

If you have compression and spark..... and no water problems in the cylinders, That problem is normally caused by a fouled carburetor.

It might be water in the cylinders. Like I said it looked like there was some water on the plugs. Where is the water coming from?

Loose head bolts / leaking head gasket is a possibility.---------------Have you inspected the fuel pump , hose and o-rings in the hose fittings ?----Have you checked for overheat condition ? -Water pump impeller needs to be changes about every 5 years.

Checked all those things and they seem fine. But I do think it's water getting in the cylinders. So I tried new gas again, but this time really cleaned and dried the tank out. Tried it out for 15-20 minutes and it seems to be running good now. Will have to use it some more to be really sure.

Thanks for the advice.

Checked all those things and they seem fine. But I do think it's water getting in the cylinders. So I tried new gas again, but this time really cleaned and dried the tank out. Tried it out for 15-20 minutes and it seems to be running good now. Will have to use it some more to be really sure.Thanks for the advice.

Yep... Appears you didn't get all the water out the first time. Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

Back