Logo

Removing rack & pinion steering from 77 motor

nick russo

HI
My 1977 engine the rack & pinion steering is frozen can you please help me and tell me how to remove it Thanks in advance for the help

If the motor itself still turns then it may be that the cable end is rusted in the tilt tube.------------What I have done is remove the motor from the boat and hang it near the boat.-------Remove the tilt tube and steering cable assembly from the motor.---Then use a mini-grinder to cut the tilt tube. ---Clean up the parts and replace tilt tube------Of course others will post their methiod using heat and hammers as well.

If the motor itself still turns then it may be that the cable end is rusted in the tilt tube.------------What I have done is remove the motor from the boat and hang it near the boat.-------Remove the tilt tube and steering cable assembly from the motor.---Then use a mini-grinder to cut the tilt tube. ---Clean up the parts and replace tilt tube------Of course others will post their methiod using heat and hammers as well.

HI Thanks for the replay How do you remove the tiller tube and steering from the motor

Back