Logo

Cruzcraft

r-mcrae

I have a Evinrude 140hp 1989.Will not idle when put in water.Will idle ok when flushing out of water.
Runs great at all other revs. Help please.

The cyl's should be no more than 10 % of each other in the readings. There are no compression specs. OMC always said no more than 15 psi.

Does it still have the VRO hooked up?If i does then, NO, no adjustments. It's automatic. The original VRO system wasn't very good. They got better after time. The cylinders/plugs will seem oily unless you run it.It's actually a good thing, that way you know it's working. My dad bought a new Johnson in 88/89 and the first thing he did was remove the VRO. They were that un-reliable. A replacement is around $300?? As far as the stalling, what's the rpm's?? They should be about 1100-1200 in the driveway. 750-800 in gear.

Does it still have the VRO hooked up?If i does then, NO, no adjustments. It's automatic. The original VRO system wasn't very good. They got better after time. The cylinders/plugs will seem oily unless you run it.It's actually a good thing, that way you know it's working. My dad bought a new Johnson in 88/89 and the first thing he did was remove the VRO. They were that un-reliable. A replacement is around $300?? As far as the stalling, what's the rpm's?? They should be about 1100-1200 in the driveway. 750-800 in gear.

Thank U for your advise. Will disconect VRO & try ratio mix.RPM is around 1100 flushing.Will let U know if all goes well.

Back