Logo

1985 60hp syncronization?

Yes, you need a timing light in order to set the "idle timing" which must be set to whatever it states in the service manual. Hopefully someone here has the manual and can advise you of that setting.

It is adjusted up or down as needed via the nylon threaded yoke.

This idle timing must be set when the scribe mark on the cam is dead center with the throttle cam roller.

Yes, you need a timing light in order to set the "idle timing" which must be set to whatever it states in the service manual. Hopefully someone here has the manual and can advise you of that setting.

It is adjusted up or down as needed via the nylon threaded yoke.

This idle timing must be set when the scribe mark on the cam is dead center with the throttle cam roller.

I have the first scribe mark lined up with the center of the throttle cam roller, however, i'm not sure whether that is correct because the nylon threaded yoke needs to be correct first, I believe.

Manual are quite expensive, but i know they're worth it. The runs fine and idles fine but it seems like i should be able to back the throttle off a lot more for cruising.

There are 2 " timing adjustments " ------------One is the maximum timing advance set using the screw with the black rubber bumper.-------------Then the other is " idle timing / throttle pick-up " with a timing light you have the engine running with timing at the correct value, according to the manual.-----Stop engine at this point and adjust linkage so that throttle opens at this point.-------------Timing on your motor is usually factory set for the life of the motor and needs no adjustments.--However many folks start adjusting linkages in the hope of curing problems.-------To me it sounds like the timing on your motor is not in need of adjustments.

I have the first scribe mark lined up with the center of the throttle cam roller, however, i'm not sure whether that is correct because the nylon threaded yoke needs to be correct first, I believe.

You're thinking backwards..... Get the idle timing (whatever it should be) where it belongs first. This gives you a idea just how far, and in which direction the nylon yoke needs to be moved... if it needs moving.

Timing adjustments on this motor are not the same as an old 283 chevy.-----------With the motor running and timing showing " idle timing " you adjust the throttle linkages so that throttle opens at that point.-----------I do not have my manuals at my computer desk but the timing should around 2 or 4 degrees BTDC.-----It is called " idle pick-up / throttle pick-up timing " and it leads to lots of confusion for folks trying to adjust this the first time.----As stated , these things rarely need adjusting !

Timing adjustments on this motor are not the same as an old 283 chevy.-----------With the motor running and timing showing " idle timing " you adjust the throttle linkages so that throttle opens at that point.-----------I do not have my manuals at my computer desk but the timing should around 2 or 4 degrees BTDC.-----It is called " idle pick-up / throttle pick-up timing " and it leads to lots of confusion for folks trying to adjust this the first time.----As stated , these things rarely need adjusting !

This is similar to what i've been told by other people. As of right now, at idle, it's (cam) about 1/8 or 3/16 of an inch from the roller. The roller is lined up (dead center) with 1st scribe mark upon touched.

Many folks start adjusting when they see the gap between the roller and cam.---------------In fact the gap is a good thing.---------A big gap there means the motor is running / idling with ignition retarded and is in good shape.

Many folks start adjusting when they see the gap between the roller and cam.---------------In fact the gap is a good thing.---------A big gap there means the motor is running / idling with ignition retarded and is in good shape.

it has 162 top and 172 bottom compression. For some reason...before it read 172 and 182-185. The differences remained the same but the numbers went down lol. Might've have been some factor that I did differently.

Back