Logo

Identifying a pre 1970 4.236

Rob Toronto

Hi all,
I've got a nagging problem that I need to resolve before spring, and I hope someone here can help.
I have a sailboat with a Perkins pre 1970 4.236. She is running fine, but I'd like to get some gaskets and other spare parts in the boat for spring launch. Problem is that the ID on the motor does not seem to conform with any of the numbering systems I have found.
Let me first say, that I've very thoroughly gone over the motor, inch by inch, including behind the fuel pump, and heat exchanger, and please believe me, there is no other ID#s than I'm describing. I've included a picture for reference.
49820-albums2610-picture14622.jpg
Stamped on the block is 4.236U (on the left), and on the plate is 4.236 570 ABB Again, these are the only ID#s This picture is taken (looking from the front) on the left side, just behind the alternator, (and where the fuel pump would be if it was mounted left instead of the right)

I do have some 200+ other pictures of the engine from every conceivable angle that I can post if anyone can help by examining another angle.
What I need is an equivalent standard ID# that I can submit to my parts dealer.

Whomever can help with have my eternal thanks:)

G'day Rob,
You mention in your post it has a Alternator if this fitting is std it dates post 1967.,pre 1974 motors are fitted with Lucas M50 Starters & 2 bolt fuel lift pumps & 1rope & 1 lip crank seals early engines only had mechanical govenors. Can not help with the numbers posted only that it is a english built unit, numbers on late model units usually found close by IP , early series on Ip side of engine stamped on side of block just below head deck. From the mid 60s many Ag tractors/ Elevators ete use them as power plants a good Ag supplier they should be able to supply any engine only parts based on the obove info.

Good Luck.

G'day Rob,
You mention in your post it has a Alternator if this fitting is std it dates post 1967.,pre 1974 motors are fitted with Lucas M50 Starters & 2 bolt fuel lift pumps & 1rope & 1 lip crank seals early engines only had mechanical govenors. Can not help with the numbers posted only that it is a english built unit, numbers on late model units usually found close by IP , early series on Ip side of engine stamped on side of block just below head deck. From the mid 60s many Ag tractors/ Elevators ete use them as power plants a good Ag supplier they should be able to supply any engine only parts based on the obove info.

Good Luck.

Finally a lead! Thanks Shakey:)
From what I was told was that the alternator was at some time replaced with an automotive alternator. I'm not sure what you mean by 'if this fitting are std.'? I'm attaching a couple of pictures for you to look at. BTW, you can also see the 236U stamp in the 2nd and 3rd picture. It is as you described 'stamped on side of block just below head deck.' but it is on the manifold side instead of the IP side.
View attachment 6129View attachment 6130View attachment 6131
The starter motor has recently been replaced, so strike 2 there. (I think I may have a couple of pictures somewhere of the old one but I would have to look for it.) The fuel lift pump does have 2 mounting bolts. AS for the crank seals, I hope I don't have to find that one out for at least a couple of years. :)

Anyway, to the crux of my problem.
With the information you've got, is there enough info there for me to be able to source parts? (ie. belts, hoses, and gaskets) Are the 4.236 engines from this era the same, or similar enough that I don't have to get any more specific?

Hi Rob. I would say that the info you have dates the engine pre 1967 as they where originally fitted with a generator charging system. As mentioned any large rural tractor parts supplier should be abe to help with engine only parts, the marinised side of things will be a different story, firstly you wil have to establish which company did the conversion different ones use different coolers & hoses ete. Given the alternator is a add on you will have to take the belt to a industrial belt supplier to be measured and the section established.
You should not have to be more specific than info you have to get engine parts.

Back