Logo

neutral position

nicholas

i just joined this forum. i'm newly retired bought a boat a couple weeks ago. 1977evinrude 25 hp.ok i put a new water pump in it today and when i tryed the gear shift [its a remote shift and throatle] in the forroward position the gear is in neutral.i took the cable off at the shift lever and the same thing. i can push more toward the frount and it will go in gear.i dont know if it was like that when i bought it or not..i have ran out of ideas so any help would be most appreciated...nick

It sounds like you didnt get the coupler for the shift shafts correct. The hole on the coupler needs to be center of the groove in the shift shaft. Pretty common mistake with the cable disconnected put the shift lever in the strait up position and spin the prop it should spin free. as your shifting gears spin the prop to line up the clutch dog. It should travel the same distance from neutral to both forward and reverse gears. Make sure both the upper and lower shift shaft grooves are center of the bolt holes on the coupler. Also look at the shift lock lever on the side of the engine there are three notches put the detent in the center notch and the gearcase should be in neutral there is a bolt on the shift handle to make that adjustment. Once you get the engine shifting good pu the control in neutral and the engine in neutral have someone spin the prop as you shift gears it should go fully ito both forward and reverse. GL

if it worm again tomorrow i will do as sugested and post back the results..thanks much for this info..nick

well i got a chance to put the lower unit on today and you all [here in tn. we say yall] were right on the gear linkeage..i found if you spread the clamp a little with a screw driver it will be much easier to put back on..thats where i made my mistake the first time..thanks a million for the help

thanks again for the info but everything is in order shifts just fine now but u make a good point i will check that out..cant wait till spring. its been 20 plus years since i went fishing..i hope its like riding a bicycle...LOL thanks this forum is great

well it was worm enough today to fill a tub of water up under my motor. shifting is ok now but i was getting warer everywhere except the pee hole. i shut motor down and thought the water tube. i could get one finger on it and it would move around. i didn't think it should move that much and its not in the top hole..pulled the lower unit and worked for about a hour and still couldn't get the tube in the top hole..is there a trick to lineing the tube up..thanks for any and all help...i dont have a service manuel but if i did have one would it cover this problem

ok thanks..when i can work on it again i will let u know how it turned out..it has to be a little worm for me to work on it..have to do it out side..thanks much

its suposed to be worm a couple days next week..maby i was doing it wrong should i put the water tube in first and then line it up with the pump or put tube in pump and try lineing it up when putting the lower unit on. this latter part is what i was doing..i caan stick the tube in the top part and it doesent fall back out. its not just real tight but tight enough to stay in...i have a service manuel on the way..thanks again for all the help

well it was 48 degree today. i put my lower unit on got the water tube right this time..water comming out every where it should also shifts like it should. it runs a little rough so my next project will be the carb.i do have a service manuel comming in tomorrow or friday..this forum is great i'm sure i will need more answers as i get ready for spring..thanks much

that is good advice i have already checked compression both cylinders were between 140 and 145 look like about 142 they were pretty much identical..it might be a few weeks before i do the carb and fuel pump..i will post back when i do it..thanks oh yea u mentioned the thermos that seems like when i started it today warter started comming out the p hole as soon as i started it so it may be stuck open

this past week worm days i think i have my motor shifting good watering good this little chop in the motor i made it better.have only ran it in a barrel so i dont know how it will do under a load..u guys and girls maybe has been a real big help and i appreciate it..just waiting on spring now..i'm about 25 miles from reelfoot lake. cant hardly wait to jerk some holes in the water..i will keep checking in and reading. one can learn a lot of stuff on here

well i got to put my boat in the water today. wish i could say everything was cool but it wasn't..everything was perfect excepy it jumps out of forward gear st three quorter to full throatle. with the remote shifter off i could put a little pressure on the shifter and it wouldn't jump out with no pressure it jumps out for just a split second.reading in my service manuel this evening on adjustment of that..could it be in the clamp where the shifting roda hook togather..i hope i can adjust this out because thats pretty expencive fix with the cradle and clutch dog..well its expencive to me..any ideas i wouls appreciate it.good or bad..LOL

thanks for the reply.its going to rain today but as soon as i can i will do the adjustment..i really think its in the shift rod coupler but i will let u know as soon as i can..thanks much

-----------------" worm days " -------Do you mean that those are good days to find worms for fishing.---The shift rods must fit in the coupling and the notch lined up before the bolts are installed.

the rain hadn't come yet it is 65 degree wow. i did some adjustments and i think i have the shifter traveling the same distant each way.in forward it goes all the way in the saddle in neutral its in the indent and reverse it goes all the way in the saddle. i am calling forward and reverse indent as the saddle. so now just have to wait to put it back in water. and start diging worms.. i will post back when i put in water..thanks everyone

Back