Logo

1989 Johnson 120hp V4 Telltale not pumping

Mark Knipler

I've just got to the point of starting a recently purchased Johnson 120 for the first time. The engine starts fine, however there is no stream from the telltale. I'm running the engine using muffs, would this contribute to no water from the telltale?
Looking under the cowling there are 3 hoses connected to the telltale outlet. 2 are connected to the engine however the 3rd is not connected to anything. (See photos)

What is this 3rd hose for and should it be attached somewhere? If so, where? I cannot see anywhere on the engine that it would attach to. Any other ideas as to why the telltale is not streaming, or anything I should look for/try?

MarkIMG_0650.jpgIMG_0649.jpg

Unless you know the condition ( age ) of the impeller it is a good idea to install a new one.------------It could be as simple as a blockage in the wee hose.----Also some motors will not show a lot of water out of the tell tale on a hose.--Test in the lake is better.

That third hose just lays in the lower cowl and is supposed to act as a syphon if you get water in the cowl.

agree with racer ....that motor the wee hose usually dont pee on hose...that engine also has a restriction right at the point it goes thru cowl...its designed like that to keep some back pressure in the system..

Mark I have a 1987 140 just bought a couple of months ago (Mercury and Yamaha man) and I notice that if I ran the motor on the muffs it took some time for the water to start peeing, even with a new water pump. But with the boat launched it was fine. I bought a dual feed engine flush the water splits after u connect the hose and goes into each muff. This is much better but not as quick as if it was in the water. Good luck!

That third hose just lays in the lower cowl and is supposed to act as a syphon if you get water in the cowl.
Hello Boobie, I came across your response regarding a siphon hose in the engine cowl. I found these few pieces inside the engine cowl. I don't see anything wrong. Is it possible that they are from a check valve inside the telltail syphon hose? Thanks in advance.

Back