Logo

Adding power trim to a non-power trim boat. Need a few questions answered

ryans01z28

Contributing Member
I have a 1982 evenrude 75hp boat without power trim and recently purchased a power trim unit with a 2-wire motor (green & blue wires) a relay box that has a 2wire round connector with a flat spot in it, a 5-wire connector with a flat spot in it, another 2 wire (green wires going to each relay) connector and 2- red wires that come off the relay box. I also have a trim tilt switch omc part number 395821 that has 3- wires blue, red, green. Can anyone help me hook this up so I have pwr trim?
thanks. I'm trying to upload pics on my phone but its not working

Last edited:
Visit --------mastertechmarine-----technical specifications---there you will find a host of information , including wiring diagrams for 2 wire trim and tilt.---------May take you some time to find it all

Visit --------mastertechmarine-----technical specifications---there you will find a host of information , including wiring diagrams for 2 wire trim and tilt.---------May take you some time to find it all
I found a diagram and it looks alittle different from the box i have but not much. Where is the trim sending unit located

I have a 1982 evenrude 75hp boat without power trim and recently purchased a power trim unit with a 2-wire motor (green & blue wires) a relay box that has a 2wire round connector with a flat spot in it, a 5-wire connector with a flat spot in it, another 2 wire (green wires going to each relay) connector and 2- red wires that come off the relay box. I also have a trim tilt switch omc part number 395821 that has 3- wires blue, red, green. Can anyone help me hook this up so I have pwr trim?
thanks. I'm trying to upload pics on my phone but its not working

my advice on trim wiring is always the same. if your boat is already wired, then use that. If not then use a mercury 2w trim harness with an inline 30A fuse or breaker. It is rare in life that the cheapest solution is also the best and most dependable. This is one of those rare occasions. You can even use 3w trim motors with Mercury wiring by replacing the $3 NC relays with $5 NO ones. cheapest to buy, easiest to install, most reliable, fuse protected against shorts, most flexible, replacement parts at every NAPA. it just doesn't get any better.

Back