Logo

replacement control unit

eco pride

Hey guys, i have recently started to bring a 15' pride runabout back to life. It was donated by a friend who was using it as a skip. Anyway i have got the 1985 Johnson 30 back up to a good standard and connected it to the Evinrude power pilot control. The control will not go in to reverse and the forward operation is less than smooth. I'm guessing the gearing is stuffed but i cant get in to the thing. My questions are... If the unit needs replacing what do i replace it with? are certain controls compatible with certain outboards? are there universal units? can you get parts to rebuild the old units.

I have tried to skim forums and websites but i cant find the info i'm looking for.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can help...Cheers!

You need a control box with a big red plug ( electric start models) made by OMC / Johnson / Evinrude from 1973 to 1995.----Lots of good used ones around.--------Also the motor must be running when shifting or someone must turn the prop for shifting when motor is not running !

The newer control boxes use " snap in cables " and they have the ends factory installed.-------No heating required.

Back