Logo

1998 Johnson 8 Hp

ehsanxx

Hi
I just bought a tinny with a 1998 johnson 8 hp outboard and I have never had a an outboard before so I almost know nothing about them,
when I got the boat I was told to dump the fuel already in the tank since its been there for a long time! should I do that? and if so I dont know what is the oil/fuel mixture ratio is for this motor, its model number is: J8RECR
I also dont know if its a 2 or 4 stroke engine? how can I find that out?
Any help is appreciated,
Cheers

The motor is a 2 stroke.----Mix fresh fuel at 50:1 using a good quality TCW-3 oil.----------It is always a good idea to install a new waterpump impeller on a new to you motor.--Easy to do yourself.

yes run that old fuel out of it, you have a great little motor there, if your handy and own tools you can do most of the work yourself, the folks here are awesome at helping you out.
if it runs good and you have a good stream of water coming out of the pea hole, you should be fine, I highly recommend getting a manual for it,

Thank you guys,
yes it does pump a lot of water and the engine looks brand new all the parts inside are like new and the guy who I bought it from said it hardly has 20 hours on it!
So I`m not sure if I need to change the water pump, I will use it for a while and see what happens, such a shame its sitting in my garage for two weeks because I have`nt got my boat license yet, I`ll get it this week and take her out for a spin,
Thanks again

BTW is it fine to take the boat in salt water or its gonna damage the motor? I have a big bin in which I can run the engine in fresh water afterwards, is that enough or I should avoid going to salt water, I`m living at Goldcoast QLD.,
Cheers

Yes its fine, I used to drop mine in our lake near bye and run it for 10mins or so, also hose it down when you get home, well worth the effort,
have fun, sound like you got a great deal.
Enjoy

Back