Logo

Book

needlenose

I have a non-VRO 2001 J40 that I just bought and I'm looking for recommendations on a book for it. It's in excellent condition with very low hours. But it's been sitting for a few years and has the problems associated with neglect. It would fire right up but wouldn't stay running without the primer being continuously pulsed. So I stripped the carbs down and found the feed tubes filled with congealed oil and and varnish. It now starts at a touch of the key and will idle as long as I let it both in and out of gear. But when I rev the engine (I'm running it in a barrel), engine speed seems to "seek" +- 500 rpm. Some times it will suddenly seem to to clear out and head for the limiter.

I've owned and rebuilt PWCs for years, but this is my first boat. I'm seeing terms like "sync and link" and I need a detailed book that will allow me to do 100% of the troubleshooting needed for get a functioning engine. Also, I've been researching and I've found references to a low-speed screw, but not a high speed. I'm assuming the high side is controlled only by the jets? I've heard of PWC carbs that don't have screws at all; just a low-mid-high jet combination.

I did not soak the carbs in cleaner I just wiped everything down and pushed a needle through the jets. I'm assuming they need full kits. But the plugs seem to indicate they're getting plenty of fuel. (They're actually a little darker than the image)

Plugs.jpg

Last edited:
Back