Logo

1996 Evinrude 15hp

scruffy63

Regular Contributor
I have a 1996 15hp evinrude that was not running when I got it. Good spark and compression so I pulled the carburetor off and cleaned it with new kit. There was no information on the setting of the air screw on the left side so I turned it to seat lightly and opened it about 3 turns. I got it to run briefly and ran ok or so it seemed. But then it's almost impossible to restart. Also looking for info at Marine Engine for a serviice manual I saw that it list 1996 15hp motors as 4 cycle. Could that have been my biggest problem since I did not know this and hooked my 2cycle tank to it.

If there is a drive belt for a camshaft it is a 4 stroke.----If you can not lift it it is a 4 stroke.----The model info you list does make it a 2 stroke.

Ok, then it's not a 4 stroke. Good. now if anyone can help me with the setting of the air adjustment screw. I have a hard time getting it to start now, but it did start and run once and I can no longer get it to start. May have to remove the carburetor again possibly I missed a spot in cleaning or float setting. I don't have the float gauge but set it like others carbs with it being level with the bowl.

Back