Logo

Carb cleaning

fishon1

Contributing Member
Hi guys, I finely received my carb kit yesterday, for my 25hp 98 Johnson, (J25RECB) today Im going to give it a cleaning, would you recommend an over night bath, or can I just use the stuff in the spray can?

Thanks much
Steve

if it were me id take it apart and clean it with a spray cleaner prior to rebuilding it then clean it again really good, dry it off as good as i could and install it. no need to soak it over night unless its really dirty and the spray wont get it clean. p.s. make sure you get your bowl float set right.....

Thanks very much, i was surprised no instruction sheet came with the kit. i do have the manual but those photos arnt to clear, im going to wing it, lol you mentioned the bowl float, im reading in my manual that it needs to be set in the down position between 1 1/8 to 1 5/8th, thats a pretty big tolerance,

thanks an have a great day
Steve

Also I was thinking since I have the carb off, I was going to check out the Leaf valves an clean them. can I use the same spray carb cleaner?

thanks

Double check the high speed jet located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber. I've found it best to manually clean that item with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent really doesn't do a proper cleaning job.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys, what a great site, Well I also received a kit for the fuel pump, so thats all I was able todo today, took it out to the lake alittle while ago and all is well with that, but im still getting that coughing/kicking at slow speed,
when I opened it up she ran great, tomorrow is carb cleaning day, I sure hope this helps with the kicking,
Thanks again
Steve

Back