Logo

9.5 power head

A quick question. How interchangable were the powerheads on the 9.5 hp series of motors. I bought a scrap 73 and found a replacement powerhead. It appears to be a few years older , but in good shape (year unknown). Trying to figure out if this powerhead will fit. Also there is a black plastic tube on the intake side, one end is attached to the block but the other end is free, but it appears there was a fitting on it at one end. Where should this be attached to.
I am not starting tearing anythhing down yet, not until I get a shop manual.

Any info you can give is greatly appricated.

All the 9.5 powerheads will swap out.--------However the later ones had reed valves closer to cylinders and were better.----Stay away from the 64 / 65 units unless they are cheap.-------------Post detailed pictures of your replacement block to help identify the year.

Racerone, It is just the complete block I got, no reeds, exhaust housing etc. I planned on stripping the one's off the 73 and using them. Is this possible, or if it is an earlier motor they won't work?

Racerone. Thanks for the help. One other question.. The diagrams of the 73 9.5 don't show the rubber hose that appears to lubricate bearings. It is on the diagrams for the older engines. Is it on all the year models or is it found only on the older ones?

Ok, I have figured out that the black hose on the replacement power head is the "oil line hose". The diagrams I have found for my 73 does not show one. Was this removed on the later engines or is it just missing from the diagrams and was on all the 9.5's?

OK no luck posting photo's yet. The silver plate on the top of the block says "J2888240" Not sure if this helps identifying the year of the motor. On the actual block it says "282 803"

Hope this helps identifying the year of the block.

kimcrwbr1, thanks. Can you tell me if there should be a fitting at the upper intake chamber? I am hoping to use the complete intake chamber off the 73, but I am not sure if it is possible.

kimcrwbr1, if I understand what your saying above, the check valve is for drainage from the lower crank bearings and not to lube them. I think that is what it is there for, as these were in use before good 2 stroke oil was being used.

Back