Logo

2001 90hp Johnson

SuperDave

Well I've aquired my parents 2001 188cc Sailfish with a 2001 90hp Johnson. Actualy hours are unknow, but I would guess no more than 200. The boats was only used 2 or 3 times per year since bought new. My parents brought it to me here in Louisiana (from Georgia) and we took it out today. It ran decently well until our 4th stop. It cranked fine and we were cruising at around 4000rpm then the engine started to die and cut out. I backed off the throttle then tryed to give it some throttle again, but we could only get 3300rpm out of it. So we just backed off and limped it in to the ramp.

The carbs were supposedly replaced 2 years ago, but I'm waiting on a phone call back to verify this. My stepdad had the engine worked on but could not remember exactly what he had done.... he's not much of a gearhead.

Any idea on where to start with this?

Also I need to change the fluid in the lower unit, but since I can find the OMC Ultra-HPF fluid, I'm not sure what to put in it.

EDIT: also a reccomendation on prop would be awesome. I can't find out what size and pitch this factory prop is. I'm guessing I need something along the lines of a 17pitch, but not sure.

Model #: J90PLSI

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Oil injection in service ??--------If so was it checked out to be working ?---------Results of a compression test ?-------------Have you checked for water in the fuel ?

Compression was 125 in all cylinders. That's all we've checked. Oil injection was working when last ran. How can I test that? I figured if it was an oiling problem the engine would have locked up. We had to limp in for 5 miles at 7mph.

Oil injection in service ??--------If so was it checked out to be working ?---------Results of a compression test ?-------------Have you checked for water in the fuel ?

Oil Injection Service -- Unknown. As far as I know it is working

Compression Test -- 125psi on all 4

Water in Fuel -- How can I find out? Pump some fuel out? It appears to have no fuel/water seperator.. which I'm baffled by.

Just a reminder. I have no clue what has been done on this boat and it has been neglected from I can see. It has fallen into my hands as of Sunday the 23rd so bare with me please.

Back