Logo

Starter Switch

scruffy63

Regular Contributor
I have an 18hp Evinrude ( older model). I have a red and black wire coming out of the cowling. Question how do I hook up a simple starter switch to them. Do I need a solenoid also? Just need some way to hook up battery to start it.

I have an 18hp Evinrude ( older model). I have a red and black wire coming out of the cowling. Question how do I hook up a simple starter switch to them. Do I need a solenoid also? Just need some way to hook up battery to start it.

does it have electric start to begin with? what year? if it dont have a manufacturer tag by the transom bracket look on the starboard side of the motor(cowl off) for a tag with model number,,,

i think those wires are for your shorting switch and those older 18's did not have electric start if i remember right now that i think about it.. not sure if you can even put electric start on those motors. sure someone will varify if you can or cant.

Last edited:
This is a 1961 18hp. It has a recoil starter and an electric starter. If I touch jumper cables to the red and black wires it starts and also the recoil works. I just would like to rig up some sort of switch so I dont need to use jumper cables.

Ignore 'Rectifier" wire... your engine doesn't have this one.

The "To Ignition Switch (B)" can simply be a push button. THis lead would connect to one terminal of the push button, the other terminal of the push button would connect to the small white lead (small nut) that states "To Ignition Switch (S)".

SOLENOID-WIRING.jpg

Last edited:
I just looked at solenoids and the ones show the starter lead and the ignition switch lead and the white lead but do not show a lead for ground like the picture shows. Will it work without the ground lead?

I just looked at solenoids and the ones show the starter lead and the ignition switch lead and the white lead but do not show a lead for ground like the picture shows. Will it work without the ground lead?

You're probably looking at automotive solenoids whereas many of them are self grounding thru their metal bracket. You would be better off to obtain a solenoid such as pictured in the diagram... two large battery/starter terminals and two smaller terminals, a energizing terminal and a ground terminal. The reasoning is that a ground needs to go from the solenoid to the engine powerhead to complete the circuit.

It's no big problem to make the automotive solenoid work... just ground out the solenoid case to the powerhead, but as mentioned above... best to have the proper one.

As soon as push button and solenoid get here I will try it. I am glad for the information as I could not have do it otherwise.

Back