Logo

1998 Johnson 115hp Ficht trim relays

leoss

I realize that this is a pretty simple problem but for the life of me, I can't find the trim relays on my motor. I have removed the cover, removed the air filter exposing the carbs and supposedly the relays but I can not find them. Can anyone help me with that. I lost the up function of the tilt-trim suddenly and I just know its in a relay. Please help! By the way, I have no manual and the ones I have seen don't address the relay, just the trim unit. Thanks in advance.

I realize that this is a pretty simple problem but for the life of me, I can't find the trim relays on my motor. I have removed the cover, removed the air filter exposing the carbs and supposedly the relays but I can not find them. Can anyone help me with that. I lost the up function of the tilt-trim suddenly and I just know its in a relay. Please help! By the way, I have no manual and the ones I have seen don't address the relay, just the trim unit. Thanks in advance.

Ok, no answers so lets make it more interesting. I found the relays under a fuse and relay cover, found out which one was the "Up" relay and removed it. Put the "Down" relay which was working in the "Up" and still nothing so I put them back where they originated and BAM, no power to the "Down" as well. What's happening? I'm sure there are some electrical guys who can start me on the correct path. Thanks in advance

Do you se a connector just below the relay box? If so. disconnect the connector and see if you have any corrosion in that connector. I scrape mine and then spray battery cleaner in both sides. If no joy then look for a fuse close to the solenoid for the starter and see if that fuse is now blown. As a last resort tap the trim motor with a small hammer and see if you have a stuck brush in the motor. Others will chime in with more thoughts; good luck

You could have corroeded connections where the relays plug in, two bad relays, the PDP panel it self is bad, loose wires going to the t/t mtr or the t/t mtr has a stuck brush. Give the t/t mtr a few raps with a small hammer and see what happens.

those relays are relatively cheap.....i would replace them both at the same time...last time i bought them they were under 9 bucks each...

Last edited:
Back