Logo

1997 Evinrude 90 can't start

startedinbermuda

Contributing Member
Sometimes (and always when it's cold) I turn the ignition and the usual lights and beep goes on but it makes no attempt to turn over (just as if there was no juice at all. I keep trying and finally it turns over in a normal fashion and starts. Once the motor is warm this does not happen any more. I checked terminals at battery and at motor and all ok there. Can you help?

I already replaced the solenoid today but no change. If the starter brushes were bad wouldn't it at least turn? Nothing happens when i turn the key to start it even though there is juice. I'm looking to check out the neutral safety switch but I'm not sure where it's located. Do you know where they usually are? I tried removing the shift control but not much room in there to check anything.

If the starter brushes were stuck it would not even try to turn; tap the starter and then see if the starter turns. You may have bad connections at both ends of the battery cables; clean them shiney bright and reconnect. Good luck

If there is no " click " when you try to crank it over, then check the nuetral switch.--------On most motors it is in the control box.------------Simple test with booster cables to see if starter will crank that way.

I use a jumper from the hot lug on top of the starter solenoid to the small positive terminal of the solenoid. If the starter cranks then the problem is between the key switch and the solenoid. If it does not crank then the starter is the problem. Verify it by jumping the top lugs of the solenoid.

I must have caused some confusion, however in my original post I mentioned that it sometimes started. When it does, the starter sounds and works very well. Thanks to your post and what I've tried; I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to the neutral safety switch especially since as I have already replaced the solenoid. My controls are flush on right side. When I remove it there is very little room to get in there. Before I keep trying and cause more problems for myself, is that where the switch is? I'm not sure I know what you mean by the "control box".

If there is no " click " when you try to crank it over, then check the nuetral switch.--------On most motors it is in the control box.------------Simple test with booster cables to see if starter will crank that way.
I must have caused some confusion, however in my original post I mentioned that it sometimes started. When it does, the starter sounds and works very well. Thanks to your post and what I've tried; I'm pretty sure I have narrowed it down to the neutral safety switch especially since as I have already replaced the solenoid. My controls are flush on right side. When I remove it there is very little room to get in there. Before I keep trying and cause more problems for myself, is that where the switch is? I'm not sure I know what you mean by the "control box".

The shifter control is at the helm / operators seat.-------------Visit the parts diagrams on this page or on ------------shop.evinrude.com---------.There you can look for your controls and the find the safety switch.

when its in the failing condition do you hear the starter solenoid picking?if you hear that then you dont have a problem with the neutral switch...if you dont hear that then you have no problem with the starter motor itself.....the sequence is to have the shift in neutral...on that control you can move it forward and back gently when you think its there and actually feel neutral... if thats ok and the switch is ok then turning the key to start will pick the solenoid..that solenoid will feed 12v to the starter...when the circuit is working you wont notice the click of the solenoid...if you hear the click of the solenoid and the starter dont turn then you have either no voltage or low voltage feeding it or a bad starter...a meter on the positive post on the starter will point the way to go...

throwing parts at a problem will get expensive and you end up with a box of spares that you will probably never use...troubleshooting is the way to go..

He has mentioned that solenoid has been replaced.--------------I agree simple testing gets the answers every time.--------------Many folks just guess and buy new parts.----------One ( there are more ) of the reasons for that is the high cost of labour and waiting time at the shops.

Attach a voltmeter with red lead (+) to the red/yellow at the solenoid and black lead (-) to ground. Turn switch to start. If voltage below 11,5 volts, not enough amps to activate the relay. Move 'forward' and repeat the test all the way through the safety switch in ctrl and output from key.

Take caution on hitting a starter u can cause major damage, if you feel u must take a hammer to it DON'T HIT THE BODY OF THE STARTER, there are magnets and thay take offence to being hit. Again if u just feel the need to hit it gentily tap the bottom cap where the brushes are again gentily! If it's the brushes u can rebuilt it and save the cost of replacing the starter. On jumping anything out AC or DC take the time to make a jumper it's eazy and safe for you and the items u are trying to jump! get a set of insulated clips a montary push button switch (25 amp rated at lease), a fues holder, and a length of wire at lease 10 gauge. put a clip in each end and the switch and fuse holder in the middle, insulate all exposed termials and wires don't need any electric leaking out where u don't won't it to. Install the proper size fues and push the button. But testing a system may seam like a long and boring process; but it doesn't cost anything but a little time, then if u are unsure discuss it with others. The only Thing I could add to the advice above from the others (which is all good except the hitting) is don't forget the wires check continuity unloaded and loaded u may have a break down that will not carry a load cold and if u don't test it loaded it will drive u nutz, test cold as that is when u are having ur problems! good luck and Merry Christmas

Back