Logo

Battery for a 130hp Johnson ocean pro, 2 stroke, V4 outboard

pharlap

Hey guys since I purchased my boat last year I have at times suspected that the battery supplied with the boat when I bought it was under powered, even though it has never let me down.

I'm going to replace the battery now, and I am not sure of the size I require for this size motor, my questions are:

Where could I or would I go to find out what is the correct size battery for this size motor ?

I understand it is a 12 volt battery, Is it amperage based for the size of motor ?

I don't want to rock up at the battery shop outlet, and get a replacement possibly under sized battery again.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance guys.

A lot depends on whether the motor has a regulator or just a rectifier to supply charging to the battery and possibly supplying tach pulses...you didnt say what year the motor was or i overlooked it...if it has a regulator it will be mounted on top of the block behind the flywheel....if it has a rectifier only charging system there will be a rectifier a tad bigger than a quarter mounted on the right hand side of the block as viewed from the rear of the engine...there will be two wires coming from the stator (probably yellow) that you can look for if you are in doubt about what to look for...they will be feeding a terminal block near the rectifier if that is what you got...Chris is correct in the NOT maintenance free with what ever you got...but if you have the rectifer only system i would go for the lower amh battery...the owners manual will state battery specs for replacement battery...if you bought it used you probably dont have it...

Another way you can tell what kind of charging system you have is to watch your voltmeter while running...with a regulator the voltage will reach a reading(below 14.8) and hold steady....with almost all of todays batteries the voltage will creep up the longer you run it...if you put a maintenance free battery on an unregulated supply it will creep up to the 16-17 volt range..eventually you will see the tach cutting up and sooner or later you will have no tach and the meter will read battery output only...at that point you have lost the rectifier...its shot..these sealed batteries have no internal discharge if overcharged and will just keep taking whatever the system puts out..i have had good marine batteries do the same thing...

Any size (Group 24/27 600/800/1000 cca) is fine as long as it is not maintenance free.

Thanks Chris, just for my own learning, what are the differences between the groups you mentioned (Group 24/27 600/800/1000 cca) and why the "not maintenance free" ? In the groups you suggested which is the strongest ?

Steve.

There is a physic size difference between group 24 and group 27. The larger group 27 has more reserve capacity.

Not knowing the year of your engine, and weather you had a regulator or a rectifier is why I said to use a "Not maintenance free" battery, it will work with both systems.
The higher voltages of a system with a rectifier will boil the fluid out of a maintenance free battery.

Back