Logo

88 evinrude 40 hp overheated

RESDESIGNER

I have a 1988 40 hp evinrude. Was running great then lostpower and found it was overheating. Waterpump was working and was"peeing" cold water not hot. River water temp was 55 degrees. I letit cool down and go it cranked and made it back but it started overheatingagain. Still pumping water. I did notice the water coming out of the tube wascold but would spurt occaisional hot water but mostly cold. Thermostat? Whereis it? Also checked compression and top cylinder is 80 psi and bottom is 100psi. Was equal prior. Head gasket?

Pull the cylinder head and have a look in there.-----post pictures if you like.--------------Your compression values are not encouraging.

Here again there are no numbers published !----The absolute most important thing is that the 2 cylinders should be nearly the same.------There are too many different gauges / batteries / starter motors that introduce variables.-----I have seen ( and own ) many of these motors for rebuilding and I know what goes wrong inside.--You will likely find a scored cylinder / piston.--------Lucky tou if it is just a blown head gasket.

Back