Logo

Drive shaft stuck in powerhead

PelletP

I have a '67 Johnson 20 hp , and I was attempting to change out the empeller .When I finally got the gearcase to drop the drive shaft stayed put ! I have tried putting pressure on the shaft and pulling the cord, I have cut a piece of maple wood to fit on the end of the shaft and clamped it down with a c clamp, and then hitting it as hard as I can to loosen the shaft and I now have the motor upside down with a nice amount of PB blaster to try and break the shaft free. I am at my wits end......

When the driveshaft is rusted to the crankshaft that bad, it's best to remove the powerhead (have someone assist you), support the driveshaft in a vice, then using a block of wood and a good size hammer, tap the powerhead away from it.

This problem is usually caused by someone installing the driveshaft without the top driveshaft O Ring and/or neglecting to grease the splines.

Amazing ! I got it out...I took a piece of rock maple about 12'' long and 3 1/2 '' wide drilled a hole in it the same as the diamiter of the shaft about 4'' in from the end of the board and in the middle of the 3 1/2 ''. Then I cut a slot about and 1/8 '' from the end of the board passing through the hole that was drilled and about 3'' passed the hole. This allows me to clamp the wood over the shaft without damaging the shaft. I then clamped it with a medium size c- clamp which is putting maxim force on the wood grabbing a hold to the shaft.Then I hammered the board in the direction that I wanted the shaft to go. BINGO! Thanks for the other posts that helped me figure this out ! Gracias PP

Back