Logo

Newbie with J50PLSRS problem

Cabinhook

Ive just bought a boat with a 2004 40 hp J50PLSRS outboard which has a gearbox oil leak and as yet I have no service manual for it. Firstly does the bearing housing come out of the casing easily as I suspect the o ring is the problem and secondly where do I disconnect the gear shift to enable me to remove the lower leg so I can check the upper seals and water pump, thanks Jeff

Hi cabin, you can download a service manual for $7.99 online, I highly recommended it, helped me big time. got a photo of where its leaking from? I just had my lower unit off of my Johnson, if your handy you'll have no problem getting into the bearing housing, just keep things in order as you remove them, these motors are built well,
(tip) have a clean floor around your work area, very easy to drop parts, and make sure the area is well lit.

have fun

yes thanks I did that and it would now appear that possibly engine oil could be the culprit leaking from the oil / fuel pump area and down into the leg somehow

You must be aware of the fact that these motors often show oil leaking in the area of the prop.---This is normal for a 2 stroke when it has idled on a hose in the driveway.------------The seals and o-rings usually last much longer than 7 / 8 years.-------------Pressure test the lower unit if you are worried about a leak in it.

You must be aware of the fact that these motors often show oil leaking in the area of the prop.---This is normal for a 2 stroke when it has idled on a hose in the driveway.------------The seals and o-rings usually last much longer than 7 / 8 years.-------------Pressure test the lower unit if you are worried about a leak in it.

Thanks, possibly I'm barking up the wrong tree here as this is my first Johnson it may be normal for it. Whats happening is that quite a substantial amount of oil is leaking out of the prop area after parking up from a run. This never happened with my Yamaha and Honda O/B's and I am now of the opinion that possibly the engine is being over oiled by the fuel / oil pump which would give the symptoms I described but maybe its something that I will have to live with or possibly I can override the automatic system and try mixing fuel / oil manually to verify this. I believe this is possible but I dont know how to achieve it. As I said I'm not a 2 stroke virgin but this problem is new to me. If you can tell me how to get the unit to operate manually without the warnings / alarms going off I would appreciate it then I will test it by manually mixing fuel / oil.

Thanks, I will try that as well as monitor things over the next couple of weeks. I did find a broken inlet manifold gasket hence the reason why oil could be in the engine bay.

Back