Logo

Shifting "cradle"

17ft'r

I have the 1963 Johnson 18 hp motor.
I have put back together the (lower end), however I have a bad feeling about the (clutch dog) and the (cradle).

I do not see how this assembly stays together without the (cradle) coming off of the shifting assembly while (shifting). There are (slots) on each side of the (cradle) but while inspecting (all) the (cradle) seems to come off the (shifting assembly) while (lifting) off the (clutch dog).

I have tried to see a picture (other than handrawn) as in the sketches to see how it is supposed to stay on but can not find any (real time) pictures.

Again, thanks for any advise,

17ft'r

the small pegs on the yoke that the cradle sits in is what holds it. you wont be able to tell if its working correctly with the lower disassembled, put evrything back together and check the shifting operation by turning the prop clockwise with your finger in neutral to start then shift to forward back to neutral and then reverse.

They made this design from about 1950 to about 1980 on thousands and thousands of motors.-----Nothing wrong with the design !---It does not fall apart when properly assembled.

Back